Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Was I lied to? Axolotl face injury inquiry.

Tye

Reaction score
Hello.
I purchased two lovely axolotls the other day from a local pet/exotic store. Both seem to be in very good shape gill wise and weight however my melanistic axolotl, Bone, has what I was told was a healed over mouth injury. I got them for a discount because of this.
However I want to make sure I wasn't lied to. The pet store claims that the axolotl came to them from the breeder with the injury and that it was healed. I don't know much about what cuts look like on them. So I guess three questions:
1. Is it healed or is it still healing?
2. If it isn't healed how can I help It? The tank is at 66°F 18.88°C. Tank is cycled with ammonia .00 nitrite .00 and nitrate between 5-10ppm. pH about 7.3.
3. If it is healed will the skin ever be black like the rest of his body?
Help a newbie axolotl dad out?

I included some photos of Bone, one from the store and two from the first day I had them in the tank.

Attachments

• JPEG_20180421_130425.jpg
    JPEG_20180421_130425.jpg
    155.9 KB · Views: 208
  • 20180421_143509.jpg
    20180421_143509.jpg
    224.2 KB · Views: 132
  • JPEG_20180421_142943.jpg
    JPEG_20180421_142943.jpg
    303.7 KB · Views: 122

Hayleyy

Reaction score
Axolotls should, for the most part, heal fully. Give it some time, and keep the temperature optimal. It looks as though it is healing, just watch out for white fluffy bits, which is fungus.
I think it should get the colour back, any injuries mine have had normal colouring after.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1