Is my axolotl sick?

Charlottelatham

Reaction score
Country
United States
Display Name
Charlotte
I got my baby axolotl about 3 months ago and it has been doing great up until the last couple of weeks. It looks skinny, has a dark brown outline around its tail, and its tail is curled at the end (I have read this is a sign of stress). I feed it blood worms every other day and it eats every last one. I also do water changes ever week/ every other week. It has gotten hotter here but not hot enough for the water to get too hot. If anyone has an idea of what the problem is please let me know.

Update: it cant swim and tries to eat but spits the food back out someone please help

Hi, what are your water parameters and temperature?

Do you have photos of the lotl and it's tank setup?

Hi, what are your water parameters and temperature?

Do you have photos of the lotl and it's tank setup?

I have a 10 gallon tank with a small substrate. There are some bloodworms on the ground because I tried feeding it earlier. The temp is pretty high at 74 but i have been trying everything I can do to lower it.

Attachments

• 050F479F-4322-4063-A42C-2C4FD50A3380.jpg
    050F479F-4322-4063-A42C-2C4FD50A3380.jpg
    305.2 KB · Views: 108
  • FBBF6C1B-5AA8-4EBA-92D4-E7B1F569306E.jpg
    FBBF6C1B-5AA8-4EBA-92D4-E7B1F569306E.jpg
    482.5 KB · Views: 86
First thing is don't have sand with an axie that small as it can impact their bellies. Removing all the sand will be hard so you can move it into a small container until it gets larger. This also makes feeding easier. You will need to change the water every day, as there won't be a filter. You need to get that temp down asap, a desk fan will work fine, just make sure it doesn't create too much of a current. Temperature shouldn't go above 66 degrees.
If you're really struggling with the temperatures you will need to invest in a chiller or aquarium fan. If your tank is sitting at 74 the fan probably wont bring it down enough so I would recommend a chiller.
Let us know the water parameters (ammonia, nitrate and nitrite) as well.
Maybe try cutting up some earthworms or using softened pellets?

The temp is too high, substrate shouldn't be used for such a small lotl, it's gills look awful which generally indicates something's wrong with the water, did you cycle your tank?

As said above, use a fan for the temp, put him in a tub and change the water daily and don't forget to wipe and rinse the tub out, try feeding him earthworms peices or even Repashy grub or meat pie, lots of small feeds daily.

Please check all your parameters and post the levels ?

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back