Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Safe "Foam" for Tiger Salamander Enclosure?

KomicKong

Reaction score
I am currently building my tiger salamander a new, larger tank to live in. I would like to raise the base of this new enclosure to allow for some better mobility when it comes to him getting places and that would allow me to let him use an older hide I had purchased previously. He currently lives in a tank lined with EcoCarpet and has never had any issues (4+ years).

I was wondering if there was some kind of foam, sponge, or other substance I could place underneath the carpet that would be safe for him and (preferably) be fairly easy to clean out. My plan is to make his water areas more parallel to the ground as he typically struggles to get into the dish, to place a dug out section for him to burrow (currently a large plastic dish filled with dirt) that, again, would be more parallel to the floor of his enclosure, and allow me to use a previously purchased hide that has a decent sized drop from the entrance that currently causes him to struggle to exit (the reason it is not currently in his tank.)

Any recommendations would be highly appreciated. Thank you.

Biev

Reaction score
What about poret foam? It's safe enough for aquarium use, it doesn't come apart like the polyester foams do after a while so there's no risk of foam bits getting ingested, and it's super easy to clean. I would get a larger pore size (20 ppi) so it still breathes when covered. Plus they are virtually indestructible, it will last you ages!

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1