Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Would like to start keeping newts!

IndiaHawker

Reaction score
Hi, I'd really like to start keeping newts so I've come here to get the best information I can beforehand! Nice to meet you and I hope you'll bear with my current newbishness :D

Firstly: What's the best way to go about sourcing my newts? I've heard previously that buying fish online can be less stressful for them as it cuts out the middleman, plus the obvious convenience - but if this is not the same for newts, or if I was misinformed, I'll obviously reconsider that. Besides looking online I haven't been able to find a great deal of newt choices anyway. Otherwise are there many good expos in the UK? I like in South-East England. Or any reputable pet shops that stock a variety of newts?

Before I go any further I'd like to decide for sure on which species I would buy so I can do more research into that specific breed before owning them. Can anyone recommend some of the best and more widely-available newt species for first-time keepers?

Help really appreciated - please and thank you!

RoreyRoreyRorey

Reaction score
If you are worried about ordering online or through a local pet store, you could always buy them from another member of this site. I’ve heard only good things about the newts and salamanders sold from this website. Although, I personally have never had an interest in keeping newts. They are certainly fascinating, but seem much higher maintenance than the Ambystoma mavoritum I keep.
I’m not sure how available they are in the UK, but I have heard Firebellly newts and eastern newts are the ideal beginner newts.

IndiaHawker

Reaction score
If you are worried about ordering online or through a local pet store, you could always buy them from another member of this site. I’ve heard only good things about the newts and salamanders sold from this website. Although, I personally have never had an interest in keeping newts. They are certainly fascinating, but seem much higher maintenance than the Ambystoma mavoritum I keep.
I’m not sure how available they are in the UK, but I have heard Firebellly newts and eastern newts are the ideal beginner newts.

Thanks for the reply! Awesome to know that people on here sell them, although I signed up a while back I'm mostly new to here so still learning, will definitely look into that! The Ambystoma mavoritum is beautiful! I've just always had a fascination with newts - I know most are semi-aquatic and I love the idea of setting up a tank in that way, plus there's just something I've always loved about them. Currently lucky enough to be able to watch a family of Great Cresteds in the pond at work but can't wait to be able to look after my own!

RoreyRoreyRorey

Reaction score
Oh you are so lucky to see that! Up here in the mountains, the only amphibians get to see are the occasional Tiger Salamanders lumbering around the yard.
Newts certainly are fascinating! I always thought it was so peculiar how they started off aquatic, became terrestrial for a while, and then go back to being aquatic? And sometimes they just randomly go from aquatic to terrestrial? I would love to keep a newt, but I would not be able to take as good of care as needed.

If you want to look for newts for sale on this site, under the forum index there is a For Sale, For Trade, Giveaway to a Good Home section. I believe when I was looking through the UK section the other day, I saw someone giving away marbled newts? In my opinion, that section of the website is one of the very best places to get a newt or salamander from, because the people are breeders or keepers of them and they make sure they are healthy, while some sites, like backwaterreptiles, have bad reputations for not ensuring the wellbeing of their animals.
I wish you look in your search for a good newt, hopefully you can find an easy species nearby!

xxianxx

Reaction score
It's newt breeding season ATM in the UK so there should be a decent availability in a few months. As a starter species I would recommend ribbed and Alpine newts both of which should be available UK cb. Other species to consider are T.verrucosus and marbled newts

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1