Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Axolotl bumping into things

Ambulans Piscis

Reaction score
So I just got my axie a week ago and they have been acting a little oddly for an axolotl. They have not been hiding much, which although I like is not normal. When they move they often move faster and bump into the walls. And lastly they have been staying near or touching the walls and corners. They water temp is fine and the tank should be clean. I do have a filter but the filtering power can be changed and I have it on low, so I don't think it is stress. If you know what is wrong and how to fix it please tell me. Thanks!

Biev

Reaction score
I'm going to guess this is still a young axolotl? It doesn't sound all that concerning to me, unless they're really swimming like they're in a panic and getting bruises or cuts from bumping into things. It sounds like my Katla when she was young. She used to swim right into the glass. Remember they don't see very well, so they need to memorize that there's a wall there! (I walked right into a screen door the other day, so I'm not one to point the finger, lol) I made sure she had swimming space in the tank so she wouldn't hurt herself on the decor. She eventually learned not to swim around too fast.

Aside from that, Katla was never a hider. She'll hide for brief periods of time if the tank is very crowded, but that's about it. As soon as there's movement outside the tank she'll walk up to the glass and watch. She also has a superstitious habit of walking up to a certain spot when she's hungry, because she's been fed there before. I feed them wherever they are, so it becomes a self-fulfilling prophecy. Maybe your new lotl thinks they're going to get fed if they walk up to the glass, or maybe they're just curious about what's going on out there!

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1