Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Keep axies from breeding?

Vijay

Reaction score
Hello, I am currently keeping my two axolotls separated in a 75 gal tank since they laid so many eggs it became challenging to keep up. However I think the two of them and myself included would prefer that they stay together, so is there any way I could do this and keep them from breeding? Thanks!
-Vijay

Bellabelloo

Julia
Staff member
Reaction score
The only way that will guarantee no breeding is to separate them. I tried using different tank dividers, but they where not robust enough and invariably one of the axolotl would manage to get over to the other. In the end I ended up leaving eggs in the tank and in a day or so most would be eaten. Any larvae that ended up growing to a reasonable size would be rescued and nurtured :D

Bellabelloo

Julia
Staff member
Reaction score
The only way that will guarantee no breeding is to separate them. I tried using different tank dividers, but they where not robust enough and invariably one of the axolotl would manage to get over to the other. In the end I ended up leaving eggs in the tank and in a day or so most would be eaten. Any larvae that ended up growing to a reasonable size would be rescued and nurtured :D

mystiknitelite

Reaction score
Be aware that constantly breeding the female will reduce her life span. I know your trying to find a resolution - but the only way is to completely separate them. They do sell tank dividers, but spermetophores can get through those. You could try using craft mesh - with report binders on the sides, and make it taller then the water column - but you still have to keep an eye and make sure one doesn't crash through to the other side...

Ultimately, i'd get separate tanks.... or rehome one and get another the same sex as the one you decide to keep

Lily0612

Reaction score
I have used the report binder/craft mesh divider with success with my bettas. To make it sturdier, I used 3 meshes in one report binder for added stability. However, I wouldn’t guarantee that these would keep the Axolotls separate. The surest way is separation.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!