ID this Newt!

fey

Reaction score
Country
Canada
Display Name
Fey
I bought D'Art as was told they were a fire-bellied newt, after looking at pictures I was thinking Cynops orientalis, Chinese fire-bellied newt, but it wasn't quite right, they're more bumpy while Dart is smooth with a duller belly. Now I'm thinking perhaps they're actually a paddle-tail newt, Achytriton labiatus, especially judging from the spots on their sides. Can someone confirm this? I'm adding some pics.
Is the care significantly different between A. labiatus and C. orientalis?
Thank you!

Attachments

• 20181014_131555_resized.jpg
    20181014_131555_resized.jpg
    404 KB · Views: 170
  • 20181014_135629_resized.jpg
    20181014_135629_resized.jpg
    288.6 KB · Views: 142
  • 20181014_135708_resized.jpg
    20181014_135708_resized.jpg
    233.8 KB · Views: 141
Ah thank you so much! I guess this is gonna be a solo newt, but that's fine. I was also planning to build a proper dry area after the corner island I had became water-logged (plus my cat knocked off the external magnets that held it up), but since P. labiatus is mostly aquatic I won't bother with that and instead just get another little island then. (there is a floating log meant for betas currently, but it's a bit trickier to climb).

Yes definitely a Paddle tail Newt

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back