Eft Feeding Tips

23matt3

Reaction score
Country
United States
Hey guys!

I'm currently in the process of switching foods from my 11 Chinese fire belly newt efts from dusted fruit flies to frozen blood worms. Some of them will take the blood worms but the majority won't take it. Does anyone have any feeding tips or advice? For the moment I'm going to do both so that way everyone eats but looking for some tips on either teaching them to eat them or trick them.

Thanks

I've also moved them from a complete terrestrial tank to a tank that has maybe 1/2 inch of water but its completely covered in hornwort, java moss and anarchis as well as small stones to prevent drowning. (I'm trying to encourage them going into the water). They are roughly between 1-2 years

One thing came to my mind now, though I can't imagine if the weather over there is still suitable for it. Anyway, in the summer and autumn I've catched blood worms and mosquito larvae with a net from outdoor buckets. They move in the water so they tempt young newts to hunt in the water. Can you get some to your tank?

It's gotten pretty cold for Florida here. its in the 60's. I haven't seen any mosquito larvae since the summer but thats a good idea! I dont think live bloodworms are available in america. I atleast, have never seem them

I also wonder what will come from those red worms I net, they seem to me bloodworms...I have to search a bug book :)

Thanks - How did you feed your group? Anything I should be doing in particular? Should I try earthworms??

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back