Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Worried I won't have food for babies when they hatch! Plz help!

Giuseppe

Reaction score
My axolotls look like they could hatch any moment, they're fully developed and wiggling about in the eggs a good amount. The problem is I have a microworm culture that was delayed in the mail and still hasn't arrived, and I've looked everywhere else for any kind of microfood I can get asap and am coming up empty.

Is there a way I can delay my babies from hatching til I've found a food source? Will fridging them help, or will that hurt them?

And once I get the microworms, is there a way to speed up their breeding?

Is there a way for me to find wild daphnia in MN in the fall?

Is there any more readily available food source I can use in the interim? We have only chain pet supply stores near

Plz help me!!

Giuseppe

Reaction score
Update!! 2 babies have hatched!! I crumbled up freeze dried tube worms I had on hand and place in water with a bubbler thats agitating the water a little, they appear to be small enough to fit in their mouths but I'm worried it won't stimulate a feeding response, it's very difficult to tell if they're eating but I don't think they have yet

Acacia

Reaction score
I was in the same situation a few weeks back. For the first few days after hatching, they won't eat, as they're still absorbing their eggs yolks. After that, I'd recommend getting some brine shrimp eggs and hatching them. For hatching brine shrimp eggs, you'll need an air pump, airline tubing, a plastic bottle, aquarium salt, and brine shrimp eggs.

Even once the microworms come, I'd still get the materials you need to set up a brine shrimp hatchery- mine didn't eat microworms, and my daphnia colony crashed. BBS is reliable and the little guys love it!

Also, if you want to delay hatching/growth, move them to the first floor/basement, which has lower temps. I haven't heard of anyone fridging eggs, so I wouldn't risk it!

Good luck!

MnGuy

Reaction score
Where are you in Minnesota? Post on the Minnfish.com forum if you need live cultures. A local might be able to help. Good luck!

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1