Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Keeping Amphibians in high temperatures - advice!

Pudmuppy

Reaction score
Hello everyone!

I have two 3year old Axies that live in a 50g in a cool room, however we are about to move to a house with space outside for a large stock tank, possibly 100g and I am wondering whether the water would stay cool enough for my guys to live outdoors permanently. I am in Dallas, TX.

I have kept fish outdoors in 50g and 100gallon before and can remember that the water remained a lot cooler than the air, but can't remember by how much - I used a bubbler, aeration, lots of plants, and a shade cover over my pond. I wonder if the same principle would keep the axies comfy in the height of summer? It can get over 100 here some days...

I was also wondering about installing a solar fan or two, and I can bring them indoors temporarily on the worst days, but am wondering if overall, this simply is not achievable? Has anyone had any success doing something like this?

Edit to add: I will also bury the tank into the ground which I believe can reduce the temperature by 10 degrees or so as the sides are not exposed.

I was also curious as to whether there are other species of newt or salamander that may cope better with warmer conditions - I have been looking at Spanish Ribbed Newts and again wonder if anyone has kept them outside in hot summers, or has any suggestion for species that worked for them?

I also keep turtles - they, on the other hand, are going to be more than happy in the heat! :D

Last edited:
General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!