Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

First return of the season?

morg

Reaction score
While cleaning out dead leaves from my largest garden pond today, I was very surprised to see an adult male T cristatus in full breeding condition.
Anybody else in the UK got newts returning to garden ponds yet?

J

john

Ain't no newts here'bouts.

Sorry, couldn't resist. I have no idea if the newts are on the move here in Ireland yet (not that it would help if I did).

mike

Reaction score
I've just "torched" my local pond for GCN's (under licence from English Nature), and found four males in breeding condition.
No sign of females as yet.

morg

Reaction score
The male cristaus has now been joined by a T vulgaris all crested up n ready to go.
My back garden amphibian reserve is up and running early this year.

C

coen

Agreed, I have a new pond in my backyard (especially 'customized' for newts ofcourse) and I've seen some T. Vulgaris in there already, however not in full breeding attire yet, let's say halfway
happy.gif

I'll attach a pic of my new pond:

10920.jpg

Not a good pic but oh well, it was a cloudy day, the pond is just new, and the digicam only costed me 50 euro's and is mainly a webcam...

A

alan

"Work in mid-Wales revealed much movement between land and water throughout the winter with the exception of periods of hard weather. Newts are extremely tolerant of low temperatures and remain active doen to temperatures of 0C."
Wisniewski, Newts of the British Isles, Shire, 1989.

D

damian

Hi Morg
I've checked my brothers garden pond tonight and all I could find was a male Palmate Newt,not quite in full breeding dress yet

Damian

morg

Reaction score
No more returns here yet, but there's a nice fully crested T marmoratus male swimming around the pond area of my outdoor enclosure.

A

alan

Well it has been mild for several weeks now. This data from the Met office is interesting:

11067.gif

morg

Reaction score
Yes its gonna catch a lot of things out when the weather turns cold again.
I know have a male T helveticus and my first female of the season returned, the female being a vulgaris.

I fully expect to be out there thawing ice from above the swimming newts soon though.

Will stop with my updates now as it must be boring people.
Its just that Im a sad old man who gets very excited at the sight of newts in his garden.

R

ralf

Hey Morg, what's that? Mid-winter depression? Thanks for sharing your observations, I always suspected a lot of things going on in the caudate world in winter, especially at these mild temps. If getting excited upon seeing a newt in my garden makes me a sad old man, I am probably the saddest Gilgamesh you've ever seen, hehehe.
biggrin.gif

Ralf (not bored)

A

a

I haven't seen any adults yet. I expect to see many smooth newts, and 2 crested newt females next spring.
A few weeks ago, i found a baby smooth newt under bit of wood, it must have been less than 2cm in total length

AJfr0ggy

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1