Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Bye, bye, buyer beware

J

john

Between us, Nate and I have decided to remove the "Buyer Beware" part of the Testimonials section. I'm going to leave the recommendations aspect of it in place.

We think we should remove it due to the bad blood it stirs. It's only a matter of time until someone gets "slandered" and truly has the money and the whimsy for legal action. To let it go on only leaves the door wide open for the sort of negativity that has turned some of people off the site.

We say this, given the recent experiences we've had. I feel that it in a semi ideal world we could all argue it out and come to a solution for each situation, but unfortunately it does stir bad blood.

I will just say again, the recommendations/testimonials will remain for the moment - if they work out as I had originally planned, they will stay.

J

jesper

Sue for slander? I thought you had a Irish ISP not a US one, hehe. Anyway I thought it was a great resource, now these things will be whispered instead. Didn't the mods go through each post before letting it be posted?
Surely you can just discard any slanderish material?
I mean, what's the point really? I can slander anyone in the general forum if I want....
Many sites has feedback forums, havent they?
Or do you mean that only web sites that have the economical resources to fight a slander suit can afford a feedback forum?

Is your point that the buyer beware posts should be seen as testimonials instead?

By the way, is not the ISP responsible for any legal action? Who is seen as the publisher?

J

john

Yes, testimonials instead.

I'm not quite sure of the legal situation, but I'm sure the ISP's T+Cs put the responsibility on me - they couldn't run their business otherwise.

We did vet each message for slander, but one person's slander may not be slander to someone else ;(.

J

jesper

I suppose there is a legal definition of slander though
happy.gif
Maybe there's a lawyer in our midst that will defend Caudata.org for free instead of donating
lol.gif

michael

2010 Research Grant Donor
Reaction score
Perhaps instead of having anyone actually post there experience with a person, you could allow them to post only:

"Buyer Beware: Johnny Appleseed in Appleton, Applestate. For further information, please contact me privately at pearsarebetterAThotmail.com"

I had a problem like this occur a few years ago when a woman really weaseled me in a deal, and unfortunately she was somewhat well-known. I wanted to make sure everyone knew about her illegal activities, and to keep myself from getting sued for slander, I was told by several local authorities that posting a "Buyer Beware-the person in this city/state; please email me directly for more details" is perfectly legal. You aren't publicly slandering them, and you are leaving it to the other people to contact you for that information, you are not forcing it upon anyone. Hopefully I explained this sufficiently and it will make things less gray and allow people to be at least semi-aware of a shady person, though it does leave it up to them to email you to find out what they did. Hope that helps,
~Mike
p.s. If there really is a Johnny Appleseed, in Appleton, Applestate, I am REALLY sorry...
uhoh.gif

P

pamela

I think that it is a good idea to follow thru with this concept. Although I am not experienced in the amphib world, regarding ethics of breeding/owning/selling - I don't think it will be much different from the "dog world". I have shown dogs, and done much research, and counseling regarding breeds, and breeders, also referrals. One must self educate themselves, and be as honest as they possibly can with any info. that is acquired. Doubt is good. It means learning: hands on, research, and if you are really lucky - an experienced, ethical, mentor. There will always be the "bad guy/gal" out there. Do your best to put the postitive odds in your favor, by eliminating the good from the bad. You can only do this thru dedication and experience (your own, AND those who have years of application). I do not propose slandering those that are bad (some people really mean well, they just don't have the resources to meet your expectations).

I feel that this forum is just wonderful - formed of good people that respect "other" creatures - with tons of real hands on experience, and genuine love.

In other words, gain knowledge, utilize common sense, understand your own participation in what is "ethical", and yes - luck.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1