Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Site Hacked

J

john

As many of you no doubt noticed over the last 24 hours (and thank you to Nate Nelson for calling me this morning and letting me know), the site was hacked and I am sorry to say that nearly 80% of the forum was lost. We've restored from April 6th, so posts in the last 2 days will be missing (sorry) but that's a heck of a lot better than losing 5 years of forum posts.

H

hayden

So, somebody hacked into the forums?

People can be such idiots.

S

sergé

Incredible, what is the point of hacking this site? We will always be stuck with stupid people and they even can get president of a country (pick a country and think of it's president...).

J

john

Someone obviously thought that you all are desperately in need of a place to download illegal mp3s.

T

terry

Thats so sad
sad.gif
! Most of my updates for T dobrogicus have been deleted. (sigh)

I'll try to re-update at a later date. Thanks for the notification John.

S

sergé

John,

can you report this anywhere? I mean is there a legal way to at least get this noticed by officials? It is illegal and at least should be reported somewhere.

Good luck and thanks that you create good back ups!

Sergé

S

stewart

John

You should be able to trace the person who haked onto the forums.

Stupid idiot who did it

J

joleen

Hi John,

Ive noticed that a few of my posts (posted yesterday) are now missing too. Its wierd.
Ive looked through my "recent posts" and they are not there either, but i specifically remember the threads that ive posted in.

Has anyone else mentioned this to you? Am i going crazy or is it another case of the site being hacked?

Thanks,

Jo-Leen
happy.gif

C

coen

If you have his IP address, you can report him... but I doubt if there will be some actions taken.

L

laura

"Incredible, what is the point of hacking this site? We will always be stuck with stupid people and they even can get president of a country (pick a country and think of it's president...)."

Haha dont we know it! why wud you hack a site like this no offense but how do you benifit that! pfft dum people

hunter

Reaction score
There seems to be a lot of hacking going on lately. Other sites I follow have been hit as well.
Congrats on getting back up so quickly and with so little loss.

J

john

Stop posting in this thread - it freaks me out every time I get an email notification that a new post has been added to it.

Addendum: Just to clarify why I said the above, the amount of effort I have to put in to rectifying big problems like that is daunting. I've spent several nights working with third parties just to get things going again over the past few years. This often involves frustrated phone calls and nearly sleepless nights. I'm no martyr but this thread gives me the willies!

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1