Species database revisions

J

jennifer

The Caudata Culture species database has been (at long last) updated to incorporate various taxonomic changes that have occurred over the past year(s).
http://www.caudata.org/cc/species/species.shtml

If anyone sees anything that still isn't right, please let me know.

I extend a big thank-you to Will Jones, who went through our lists and compared them to the ones on AmphibiaWeb.

Just one addition; Salamandrina has been split up in two species; a southern form and a northern form.

Serge, i thought the paper hadn't been released yet, i also know that David Wake, owner of Amphibiaweb is watching out for papers on it, so i think the change would be up there if the paper had been released.

There are two papers released on that subject!

- Marco Mattocia , Antonio Romano, Valeria Sbordoni : 2005 Mitochondrial Dna sequence analysis of the spectacled salamander, Salamandrina terdigitata (Urodela : Salamandridae) supports the existence of two distinct species, Zootaxa (995) 1:19.
- Guiseppe Nascetti, Francesa Zangari e Daniele Canestrelli, 2005. The spectacled salamanders, Salamandrina terdigitata (Lacépède, 1788) and S. perpicillata (Savi, 1821) genetic differentiation and evolutionary history. Red. fis. Acc. Lincei 16: 159-169.

yes but the first one doesn't actually state that they are two distinct species, it just supports the idea that there are two species, i have not read the second paper though.

David Wake has also seen the first paper and agrees with me on that.

(Message edited by will_j on February 09, 2006)

Oh my, taxonomic debate! ;)

I just had a look over at CC and I must compliment you both - well done
happy.gif

yeah me too.

quoting from page 10:

" If future taxonomic studies will corroborate the taxonomic distinction of the PER and TER lineages at the species level, the two names are apparently available"

well i have read it, and it does indeed state that there are two species, thanks for that Serge, looks like there is another update to the database Jen!

And there will be more! I'll keep you posted when I get some new information.

on the salamandrina? i saw it noted some papers that were still in press.

i think that most of them are perspicillata, but you'll have to contact the photographers to get an accurate location and identification

my photos should be of S.perspicillata, as they were taken near Rome...

Sorry Will, yes, some were removed at the author's request. One of yours was removed also, as it didn't make sense without the adjoining posts.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back