Recent accesses to the forums!

J

john

You may have noticed we have an extra frame now at the bottom of the screen. I like the idea but what do you think? It automatically refreshes every minute. You can click a user's name to see their profile too.

Criticism and comments are welcome.

I think it's kind of neat (for now at least) to see who has recently popped in. It should also help expose those lurkers
lol.gif
On my screen, however, it seems to occupy a bit too much space (at least when it's not full of names of users). An "on/off" function would be nice. What extra features are available in the apex version of this software?

Yep, I love it nut it takes up a little too much space right now just as Tim says. What I would love even more would be the ability to send pop up messages to users currently online.
biggrin.gif

I thought about that too, Jesper, but then figured that it could become annoying because just because somebody is looking at the site doesn't mean that person is available for chit-chat, and it's a bit awkward to ignore messages. I pop in from time to time while I'm at the office supposedly working (like now)
blush.gif

I see your point, but there usually are a function to not accept messages in those other forums I've been to having this pop up messaging thing. It's a great way to fast get a hold of someone without to email. I can say that I have something important to say, then we can go to the chat for example.

It wouldn't be a problem if the default setting was "off", and if people were available for chat they could turn it "on". There's already a chatroom, but hey, I'm all for your idea if it's workable without having to install anything like Instant Messenger.

I have no personal objection (although I think it does clutter the screen up more - could it be made a link rather than a banner?), but I have a feeling that others might find it intrusive by revealing when they were logged on. Some of us might not want our S.O.'s to know how frequently we visit this site
wink.gif

Tim, Jesper, Nate (who objected before and after I put it on) and Alan, yes I think on some users' screens (i.e. those with low resolution :p) it's a bit big. I think I will change it to a "turn me on and off" feature, with default off. Basically if you turn it on you will get that frame.

I don't know about you good people, but I wholeheartedly object to the idea of instant messages through the forums. Can you say "beck and call" ? I have no plans to implement that unless there's a huge demand for it.

As for your username showing up in the "last access" area, all I will say is tough cookie :p, but there is always the ability to sign out and use the guest account to read the forum. If there's a demand it's relatively simple for me to modify the database to add a parameter for you to select "show me in the last users thing on/off".

Thanks for the feedback.

In that case, maybe there could be an "opt out" option...? The more I see it though, the more I like it. It seems to deepen the sense of community here
bowl.gif

PS - While you're at it John, how about a bigger selection of smilies? I'm getting slightly bored with the current selection. I have some very interesting ones to share, assuming they're not copyrighted
wink.gif

<ul>[*]Tim, I don't favour the opt out idea. There is always the "guest" facility (i.e. sign out and then click the guest button). <LI>Yes, the reason I implemented the feature was for the sense of community. <LI>Bigger selection of smilies, not a problem. Either show me the smilies you want or link them and I'll take a look. I don't think people mind too much if you "borrow" their smilies. They're more worried about photos and the like.[/list]

I compromised a bit - I made the frame a lot smaller - it's 30 pixels high now. If enough people object to it I'll remove it or make it a link. Let me know.

Oh and the refresh is every 2 mins and since it's only a couple of lines of text it shouldn't cause anyone any bandwidth problems (that means you Nate).

I like it, a pop up instant message would however be a bit of a problem. I'm often on the site when I don't have time to talk coherently. It's why I like forums, you can take three hours to type your message if needed.

Oh, I understand your point!
It's not as if I always have time!!
biggrin.gif

However I'm used to having things like phones and stuff calling even when I'm busy - so I simply tell people I'm busy - will get back to you when I am free ;)

I would practice the same teachings here if we have pop-ups
smile7.gif

It's all about accessibility and the ability to say no eh
smile.gif

stick to your guns John, instant messages would be intrusive - not that i think us caudata devotees would be crass enough to flash ASL queries over each others screens.....

i do like being able to see who and how many of us have been visiting though *g*

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back