Caudata.org Calendar - Winners and Purchasing Details

J

john

Well, a little later than we had hoped, the Caudata.org 2007 Calendar is complete. It is available at the cafepress store here: http://www.cafepress.com/caudata

Please note that this is an American calendar. That's not out of choice - if it were possible I would have chosen at least 2 variations. The calendar is an oversized wall calendar (17 inches x 11 inches per page in landscape, 2 pages showing at once).

I want to thank everyone who took part in the competition, particularly those finalists who sent their photos when requested to do so.

Thank you to the judges for taking time to vote (some of you repeatedly) and especially Mark Aartse-Tuyn: this calendar wouldn't have happened without you. The judges list consisted of most of the moderators and a few select third parties. Here are the winners in no particular order. In some cases, the same photographer won with more than one photo.

<ul>[*]Gary Pickett: Neurergus strauchii <LI>Jeff Altenburg: Axolotl <LI>Jennifer Macke: Cynops pyrrhogaster <LI>Henk Wallays: Batrachoseps sp., Ensatina eschscholtzii, Tylototriton kweichowensis <LI>Kaysie Cox: Andrias japonicus <LI>John Clare: Tylototriton verrucosus <LI>Juraj Lezovic: Tylototriton verrucosus (we had a lot of entries of this species) <LI>Mark Aartse-Tuyn: Triturus marmoratus <LI>Mark Bakkers: Chioglossa lusitanica <LI>Travis Dimler: Ambystoma opacum, Pseudotriton ruber[/list]There's no official first place, but I made the executive decision to give Travis the cover page.

Well it looks like we can either have the big calendar or a smaller version of the same shape, but not both. I'm going to stay with the large one for now.

Well, I would like to say a BIG thank you to John who has stuck by the calendar project through it’s ups and downs (and there’s been more downs than I care to recall!). I too would like to thank the winners for sharing their excellent photographs for all to enjoy – the standard of photography is first rate.

We’ve learnt some valuable lessons during the making of this calendar, ones that will hopefully make it much easier next time….

I can’t wait to have one hanging in my newt room! I may even buy two
biggrin.gif

At last it's there, thanks for the effort everyone! I'll buy two too
lick.gif

John,
I am very much looking forward to ordering the calendar.
Thanks for your leadership on this.
Regards,

It would be available to buy right now but I made a mistake on Gary's photo credit and I can't do anything about it until I get home from work today.

I've been trying to get the Cafepress website to load for about 8 hours now and no joy. There whole domain seems to be unreachable right now... I'll give you more news if and when I get it.

John,
When it rains it pours. I know this will work out soon. the photos are great, and will make really nice calendars.
Happy Holidays,

Well the cafepress website was working for a few minutes... I'll keep trying throughout the day.

The whole of cafepress.com seems to be down, by the way. So at least we can know they are not anti-salamander, lol.

Steven, we're above using "wot" and "wots" on this site. Please type real English.

John,
The cafepress.com site is back up, and the caudata.org and axolotl.org stores are open.
No calendars yet, I am sad to report.
crazy.gif

That's because Cafepress' upload facility isn't working right now so I can't upload the corrected version of Gary's photo.

At least the store is back in action. They must have gotten hit really hard to be down completely for so long. It will likely take them awhile to get back up to speed.

Yesterday Cafepress fell victim to a massive DOS attack (Denial of Service). What that means is that hundreds, maybe many thousands of computers were all told (usually by one "hacker") to start sending data to cafepress at the same time and for a sustained period of time. This sort of attack usually overloads the server and/or uses up all of its available bandwidth, leading to the site not loading for Joe Public (us).

I have been trying all afternoon to get this photo to upload with no luck.

ill take two small ones, not to much wall to put the large one, but maybe ill take two of each.

Also thanks to all the people that worked on the release of the calendar.

This morning cafepress.com is acting strangely and I can't even get to successfully log in now. I really hope they solve their problems soon.

John,
My son is in computer science, and he advises me that DNS/DOS attacks can be really debilitating.
It is particularly cruel to suffer this kind of criminal event at this time of year, if you are an online retailer like Cafepress.com. I am sure they are working hard to get back up to speed ASAP.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back