USCR: Up and running

M

mark

I would like to formally announce that the United States Caudate Registry has officially returned and is now up and running. You may visit it here: www.caudata.org/uscr/.

Furthermore, I would like to extend my personal gratitude to Jen and her son for the time and energy they spent on the site. Without their efforts the Registry would not have been possible. Also to John, of course, for providing a home for the USCR, and to Dot for creating the logo. I truly appreciate everyone's time and contributions. Thank you.

I hope now everyone might make their own contribution by listing those species they keep. It is the aim of the USCR to create a community in which caudate hobbyists of the US may become more aware of each other and thus aid in the captive husbandry of newts and salamanders.

If there are species you would like added to the registry, or if you have any other questions, please feel free to e-mail me at uscr_admin(at)caudata(dot)org.

Might as well post it here, but how do you add yourself to the list of people keeping a species? Email?

Dot - thanks, but I really cannot take any credit, all compliments should be given to Jen and her son.

Joseph - in order to list you must create an account. From there you may edit your account and the species you keep . . . hope that makes sense.

Thanks for the interest in the site already!

Looks good - great idea. How about adding Triturus Pygmaeus?

I think its great, nice looking logo Dot!

I wonder... is there anything in the pipe line for English users?

Dustin - thanks for the suggestion. I thought I had them up, but apparently not. They are there now though.

Regarding subspecies: information about subs should be noted in the "comments" part of the person's listing for that species.

Regarding pygmaeus: there's no harm having a separate entry for it, but some people still consider it a subspecies of marmoratus.

Regarding thank-yous: thanks should also go to Nate for writing the home page text. And he will hopefully also write the "About USCR" page (hint, hint).

As a non-US person "looking on", I must say well done everyone. I am getting all tingly with excitement just looking at the cover page
happy.gif
(it's either due to that or I need to see a doctor asap). Well done Jennifer, Calvin and Nate. Most of all though, Mark Reid is the guy who has to run the thing, so thank you Mark for taking on that responsibility.

The same goes for Jesper with his TSSR (http://tssr.caudata.org). I look forward to seeing other registries in the future and the worldwide cooperation they will spawn ;). Hey, I'm an optimist!

Looks great...I entered some of my species and it worked well. I have T. carnifex...where should I register them...are they still a separate species? (don't mean to sound silly, you never know what happens when you're not on the forum as much as I would like
wink.gif
)

Hi Al, I have gone ahead and added T. carnifex for you. Thanks for registering!

I see one problem with the USCR as it is now. People have the option of keeping their e-mail address hidden, and the vast majority of registrants have done so. We will soon have many people who have registered, but who are completely unknown and uncontactable.

As an example (and I don't mean to be picking on this person), we have someone registered under the name PJ with no e-mail address. PJ is not registed on the Forum. If I wanted to contact PJ to share information, there is no way I could. In fact, as it is currently, even the admin couldn't contact this person.

Which of the following fixes makes the most sense?

1. Require display of the e-mail address (which is done in a way that prevents collection by spammers).

2. Require an additional field on the registration that demands some form of contact information (could be an AIM ID, or a Caudata Forum registration ID for example).

3. Create a "click here to e-mail" function just like what we now have on the forum. Although this may be ideal, it could be beyond the talents of our programmer.

4. No change externally, but just create a way for the admin to view all e-mail addresses. If I wanted to contact PJ, I would have to e-mail the admin.

5. Any other ideas?

You could also have a "private message" button that keeps messages contained within the site, no e-mail, etc...

I agree with Nate - options one and three seem best. Option three would perhaps be most ideal, though it is understandable if it is not possible and we can surely find another solution to this problem. Option one seems valid as it is the goal of the USCR to promote the idea of community amongst United States caudate hobbyists. Hiding e-mail addresses, though providing privacy, only hinders this goal.

Jen - please send my thanks to your son again; I am extremely happy with the way the site turned out and really appreciate all the efforts he has put in.

Thank you to all who have registered on the site so far!

Mark

i think it is great what you have done, but will there be one for Britain? if so i would love to help out in any way possible.

Someone would have to volunteer to look after it (even if it's only a care-taker role). I would very much like to make the British one include Ireland too, as I think it makes sense. If it did include Ireland, I would volunteer to design the site ;), so the person who volunteers to look after it wouldn't have as much to do.

Just England and Ireland? Is Scotland being treated like an ugly red headed stepchild
happy.gif
? Might as well make it a registry for the U.K.

Britian or the British Isles means England, Wales, Scotland and Northern Ireland

The UK and Ireland Registry, I'll do it.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back