Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

IMPORTANT: Post limit

J

john

As of now there is a post limit of 8 posts per day per person, and 4 per thread (for example you could post 4 messages in 2 threads, a total of 8 messages, and no more for another 24 hours). Certain individuals have been posting messages with no information, just saying "awesome" or whatever. This has led to complaints and it's diluting the quality of the information on the forum.

People who exceed this 8 post per day limit will be silenced on the forum as punishment. This rule doesn't include moderators since they sometimes need to post more than 8 times per day to keep order.

Please heed this limit. It is voluntary in that you can post more than 8 times but you'll run the risk of suspension.

F

francesco

Quite right John.
Something had to be done about it.
Francesco

A

abrahm

It's unfortunate that we need such a rule, but it is certainly necessary. Thanks for making the situation known.

J

john

And a warning to people, as of Monday April 23rd I will be doing a "Last Day" search every day. I'll suspend anyone over 8 messages. At a glance, if I were to do that search right now the following people (usernames) would be suspended:

Ryan
Jay

I've sent Ryan a personal message pointing out this thread because he's the worst offender. I don't like suspending anyone but we have done it before when it was judged absolutely necessary. I get enough spam in my email without getting it on our forum too!

Put simply, if you've nothing to contribute, then don't contribute!

J

jeff

Very nice, I have been waiting along time for something like this, I was wondering if it was just me that felt like things were going downhill. My main complaint in the past has been the help section, and seeing poeple just posting things that were of no use at all.

For those that are new, I know you want to help, but it takes time to learn everything, and jumping the gun only destroys the validity of the site.

ravenous

Reaction score
it makes me laugh that in this thread there are people posting "i agree with that"

surely thats the kind of messages that you are trying to stop?

K

kyle

I feel there is a definite difference when responding to a random post saying "Awesome", against responding to a post made by the site administration that is inhibiting the amount of posts we can make in a day. Letting said administrator, know that the general consensus of the board actually is very much in favor of a posting limit.

That being said.

I agree.

J

john

I've changed the posting information section of the bottom of each thread page. There's a nice bold red warning about number of posts. No one can say they weren't warned when the suspensions start.

K

kamil

What is about Donors? Will they get suspended if they post more than 8 posts a day? I mean, what for are they donating such huge accounts of money regularly?
Isn't it better to talk with the people who post only "empty" things than to make such a step and write "Posting on this forum is forbidden. Everyone who dares to post will be kicked"?

That all seems kinda ridiculous to me!

(Message edited by Kamil on April 23, 2007)

J

john

You know, I was in the process of writing a thoughtful response to your message Kamil and then it finally occurred to me that you're just trolling. In my defense, it is 3 am right now.

In response to your troll, the decision was made by the moderators, I just implemented their suggestions. Thankfully what "seems kinda ridiculous" to you makes sense to concerned users who participate here each day, like the moderators. I encourage you to find another forum with people who share your opinions, rather than a "ridiculous" one like this.

K

kara

John,
I am relatively new here, joined in July. I am not an expert, or a professional, but I feel I have valuable information to give, and I am always impressed with the help and advice given to me by more experienced enthusiasts.

In no way am I trying to nit-pick, but I have made an observation, and I don't know if anyone else has noticed this or not- I think that showing the amount of posts one has put on the forum, has created a competition-like environment. It seems some members think the more they post, even redundant, meaningless posts gets their number up to a high level of "active member" or "very active member". Why is that status available for all to see? Is this really important?
Just something to think about, anyone agree?

R

richard

John - If chat was running then people could probably get the answers they need from others without having to exceed the post limit, and be able to speak casually without having to backtrack an make sure that they included everything they wanted to say. This saves the need to use another "valuable" post to add something they forgot. Could you not give moderators selective silencing power, and let them silence users who they feel are posting redundant posts, while a person who is posting several meaningful posts in one or more posts could be ignored? The moderators could send a PM to whoever is being unscrupulous, warning that their next infraction will result in silence

Kara - I think that the number of posts is a good idea to show the experience that some of the very frequent users have, and makes their opinion seem more valuable. Not unlike seniority. I would like to know if the person who is telling me how to care for my newt in a critical stage knows what they are talking about.

J

john

Well regarding user status I have the answer for that: if someone gets suspended I'll zap their status down a few hundred posts.

Regarding the chat: that'll happen as soon as I make the big hosting decision. Lately I've been thinking about this all the time.

The moderators already have the ability to suspend posting by people. They also have the discretion to give certain people permission to go beyond the posting limit due to the consistent quality of their posts.

K

kamil

Hi John,

my posting was not meant as "troll". Though you wrote me at a such late time I think you are maybe right, concerning the search for a new english-speaking forum. So please delete my account from this forum, as I will not visit it in future.

Best Greetings,

Kamil

TJ

Reaction score
It's regrettable that circumstances led to these restrictions but the "dumbing down" and "chattification" of the forums was simply becoming intolerable.

By "pertinent information to contribute," I believe this includes commenting on other people's posts not only by making pertinent observations but also by asking pertinent questions (and one doesn't need to be experienced in the hobby to do that), not just posting for the sake of posting. Perhaps over time, after the current problems are resolved, the restrictions can be relaxed (at least for people making quality contributions, helping others, etc.). Still, I'm not sure what the fuss is. I think 8 messages a day is pretty generous of John. I'd suggested 3-4
smile6.gif

(Message edited by TJ on April 23, 2007)

W

william

8 posts a day is perfectly adequate. Most people won't even do that many posts a day, and if you have a ninth thread you really feel the need to post on, i'm sure it could wait that extra few hours till the next day.

J

jennifer

In answer to Kara, we did consider getting rid of the post counts at one point. At that time, we changed "senior member" to "active member" in hopes that it would de-emphasize the status factor. You are quite right that, unfortunately, some people view the post count as some sort of competition, or way to make themselves look good. But, as Richard points out, it does help newbies to know if an answer is coming from an old-timer or from another newbie.

I suppose we could have just cracked down on a few hyperposting individuals, rather than issueing a limit on everyone. But there are always several of these types who join every year; the post limit is a less-hassle long-term solution.

J

jeff

Not to sound sour, but the senior member to very active member was changed about the same week I hit that mark...

But something you can always check is the date joined. If somone has 300 posts and joined in 04, then you probably can trust what they say. But if they have 300 posts and joined 2 months ago, then you may want to wait around before doing something you are not comfortable with.

There was one other thing I thought I would mention. Is there any way to make the FAQ pages maditory reading before joining? somehow link either that page in CC to the membership process, or copy it in another form to the registration process?

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1