Herpotology as a career?

J

jameswei

So, i graduated with a degree in biomedical engineering, without much understanding of what i want to do with my life. Im considering everything and anything, from law school, to med school, to business school. I've come across herptology, and so far, from what i have learned, it is an extremely interesting field but not that much in demand. Is there any herptologist here or people who have experiences with this field?

You could work at a zoo like myself and a few others here.... although, I think a requirement for being a zoo keeper is knowing that you always wanted to be one. It is a specialized job (sorta), but it pays terrible, and with a degree like yours, you'd just be angry that you're not getting paid more lol.

Not to say you shouldn't do it, just make sure if you want to, that you really really want to.

Other areas you should look into are field researchers. Look in to colleges for those types of jobs. A good place to keep up on whats available is www.CNAH.org

On the right side of that page, you'll find a listing for job opportunities, and something usually pops up around once a month - always something interesting, with fairly decent pay. Usually they require a bit of experience, so you may want to find other ways to get involved with field work (such as an assistant at a college level).

Good luck, and I'm sure others here will be able to reccomend some other outlets of jobs in Herpetology.

I will second what Kyle says is that in general working for Zoos and Museums have a terrible pay scale. The best pay is for those who work at a major university and teach as well as conduct research (and publish various books). Regardless this is a field where you won't ever be rich (unless you play the lottery). The best you can hope for is that you can be comfortable but you will have to make some sacrifices to do so. If you don't love herpetology for itself, then you may not like it once the newness has worn off..

Ed

It is important to repeat something that Ed and Kyle have already said - if you want to be a professional herpetologist, you really need to love what your are doing, because the costs associated with the job can be pretty high. In addition to the relatively low pay, jobs are scattered across the country, so it may be difficult for you to get a permanent position located in a very specific geographic area.

With that said, being a 'herpetologist' - whether you are employed at a zoo, museum, university, government agency (e.g. USGS, EPA), or private conservation group - can be an incredibly rewarding job. The society for the study of reptiles and amphibians has some information on herpetology as a career at their website:

http://www.ssarherps.org/pages/career.php

For some additional information on the type of research many herpetologists do, you can look at the abstracts from the most recent joint herpetology / ichthyology meetings:

http://www.dce.ksu.edu/jointmeeting/abstract_list.shtml

If you are interesting in getting a research position, here are a couple additional places where research assistant type jobs are posted:

https://listserv.umd.edu/archives/ecolog-l.html

http://www.parcplace.org/jobs.html

Your profile says you are located in NYC. You may also want to contact the American Museum of Natural History or the Bronx Zoo / Wildlife Conservation Society to see if there are any volunteer positions available.

Good luck,

Mike

I have a university degree as an animal ecologist (special subject herpetology). I didn't want to stay in the scientific world and have combined my interest in nature and environment and work now for the government. I deal will nature policies and laws in the daily projects for the ministry of Traffic, Transport and Water management in the Netherlands.

Pro's: I can use my knowledge for practical things, can try new things in nature conservation and make tax money worthwhile spend. Also it pays well and I only work part time (32 hours).
Con's: I of course also deal with all kind of aspects of nature that are not reptiles or amphibians and spend most time doing paperwork and having meetings.

But...as I have a 3 day holiday and enough money to spend I can do herpetology in my free time. I also can plan my holidays whenever I want to (mostly). So I can study what I find interesting. I am not bound to a university or institution for money, I pay for my field work my self. I can not be in the field for months, but I can for weeks. I have found in this a perfect balance. In Europe many semi-professional herpetologists are around, paying their herpetological interest from an other job. But I must admit, I would like to be more outside...but I think in an professional herpetologist job you will be working inside also most of the time...

There is some interesting work being done with salamanders as biomedical subjects (regeneration, embryology, hibernation, toxicology, and more) which might combine your bioengineering degree with herpetology and a decent salary.

I took the other route - I work in a field that allows me to spend my time and money on my salamander hobby.

Good Luck!

(Message edited by duktig on July 31, 2006)

This a recent posting for a keeper job and is pretty typical for across the country. If anyone in that region wants to apply the information is attached at the end of the snip.

snip "Organization: The Toledo Zoo
| Location: Toledo OH
| Date: Jul 19, 2006
| Candidates must have a working knowledge of the care, maintenance, exhibition, and breeding of amphibians and reptiles in captivity. A B.S. in
zoology or a related field and previous work experience in a similar zoo setting are preferred. A combination of experience and education to fulfill the necessary skills and requirements of the position may be considered in lieu of a formal degree. Experience working with venomous species is preferable. Must have a
| valid driver's license and be insurable by the Zoo's insurance carrier.
| Starting hourly rate $12.97 with an excellent benefit package. The Toledo Zoo is an Affirmative Action/Equal Opportunity Employer and a drug and alcohol free workplace. For consideration please submit a resume utilizing only one of the following methods by July 31, 2006. Re: Zoo Keeper - Herpetology, Recruitment
| Manager, The Toledo Zoo, PO Box 140130, Toledo OH 43614-0801 [OR] resume@toledozoo.org "endsnip

NEWS RELEASE
The Center for North American Herpetology
Lawrence, Kansas
http://www.cnah.org
17 August 2006
Received by CNAH: 16 August 2006

FLORIDA FISH & WILDLIFE CONSERVATION COMMISSION
POSITION: GIS/DATABASE and AMPHIBIAN FIELD TECHNICIAN

CLOSING DATE: 25 August 25 2006

SALARY: $13.00/hr, 15-26 weeks duration (October 2006 - March 2007)

RESPONSIBILITIES: This position provides GIS and database technical expertise
for ongoing survey efforts for the Striped Newt in northern and central Florida.
Duties include (1) using ArcView GIS to identify potential wetland and upland
habitats for Striped Newts and generating maps or figures to support survey
efforts and for use in presentations and reports, (2) working with Commission
staff, other government entities, and private conservation groups to acquire
and maintain striped newt data, entering and archiving data, fulfilling data
requests, and generating summary reports as needed, (3) working with county
GIS administrators and/or property appraiser offices to obtain property
ownership information, and (4) conducting dipnet surveys for striped newts and
recording relevant data on aquatic amphibian assemblages and habitat
characteristics.

KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS, AND ABILITIES: The successful applicant should possess
demonstrated experience using ArcView, ArcInfo, or other GIS technology,
Microsoft Access or other database packages, and Microsoft Word or other
word processing software. Knowledge of Microsoft PowerPoint useful. Basic
knowledge of southeastern ecosystems and herpetofauna a real plus. Applicant
should be well organized, have good interpersonal skills, and be able to
interact
with team members and outside parties with varying levels of technical
expertise.

HOW TO APPLY: Please send a resume, names and contact information of three
references, and details of your GIS skills via e-mail to Kevin.Enge@MyFWC.com
and John.Himes@MyFWC.com or traditional mail to the following:

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back