Spring in NY, finally!

B

brian

Well, went out the other night to see what was moving now that spring has finally arrived in upstate NY. Spotted salamanders were moving in decent numbers. Found a MONSTER female that measured out at 9" long! A couple of jefferson salamanders were out in localized areas. Where you find them, you find them in small numbers. Found 1 Gyrinophilus as well. No P. ruber, which I normally find in decent numbers, but perhaps it's early. Rains and temps here have been all over the place and streams are presently full (or over-filled). Found several P. cinereus and a single E. bislineata. Hemidactylum were found in good numbers where they are found. Toads, frog and peepers were frequent in both 2 and 3 dimensions. Thankfully not too much caudate roadkill. No P. glutinosis or E. longicaudata seen yet. If anyone has a scientific interest in any of these species, please feel free to PM me and I'll be happy to talk with you about them. (how many I see, what type of habitat, temps, etc.) Please note I did not mention I kept any,(that's NOYB) so spare me the WC/CB lecture. DO NOT ask me to SELL you any! That's not how I roll...

Hey Brian, a friend of mine was at a State Park in the CAtskills and saw a bunch of huge egg masses in a pond or something and said he saw little salamanders coming out of them. Do you have any idea what they might have been? From the cell phone picture he showed me they might have been as big as a softball or larger.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back