Iowa?

D

david

I was just wondering if anyone knew of anywhere in central Iowa I could go to observe newts in the wild.

Hmm... curiouser and curiouser, this is the second person to post about observing in a midwestern state with no collection laws....

I do not want to capture any newts. I would just like to observe them and see what the natural environment is here. And there are some protected species in this area that I would love to get some pictures of.

I'm from Iowa too, and I have found some info on the Iowa Herpetology home page http://www.herpnet.net/Iowa-Herpetology/amphibians.html concerning caudates.
Apparently out of the 5 spp. they list, only the small mouth and tiger salamanders are not endangered or threatened. I guess there are collecting laws on most of the amphibians in Iowa due to their status(probably historically due to our heavy draining of wetlands). I'm glad we do as I don't believe in collecting animals from the wild(not accusational). If you are interested in observing some I would suggest contacting a local Audubon society(http://www.wyalusing.org/BBAS.htm) as they generally aren't always about birds and give a great(free) opportunity to visit local wetlands. Hope this helps.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back