Not caudate related, but it's great anyway...

W

william

even though it is not caudate related i think it is great news for the everybody and especially the people of the USA even though it is about birds, it gives hope that "extinct" species like cynops wolterstorffi may still be hanging on. lady's and gentlemen, the ivory billed woodpecker.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/sci/tech/4493825.stm

That is pretty cool news...I have to imagine it is especially hard to determine if a bird species is extinct. I just took a look at a book I have that lists this bird as "probably extinct" although it says there have been unverified sightings throughout the south...

That's funny, will. When I saw that news yesterday, I thought the same thing about wolterstorffi. We can certainly hope.

i was also thinking of that North American plethodontid that was found a couple of times and them disappeared, what's it's name again...

There's a couple that fit that description: Eurycea robusta and Plethodon ainsworthi.

And let's not forget about the Golden Toad, Bufo periglenes, which seemed to have virtually vanished.

no
sad.gif
nor the many atelopus

how many species of caudate have become extinct or presumed extinct? i can think of
cynops woltersorffi
plethodon ainsworthi
eurycea robusta
ixalotriton parvus
and i think ixolotriton niger too, but i'm not sure...

I agree, this is great news
happy.gif

I think that if a bird managed to escape detection for such a long period of time it seems that a tiny caudate in a remote area would stand a much better chance of escaping the radar.

well we could go on with the other 160 birds that are extinct or presumed extinct and the other 4 species extinct in the wild

"Let's not forget the Tasmanian Tiger.
Chip Reves"

You mean the tasmanian wolf?

Hi Benjamin,
I know that they are not true tigers but I was thinking that was a popular name - it was late for me when I posted however so my memory was not at it's best
happy.gif
Take care.
Chip

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back