Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Uninvited guests...daphnia?

TJ

Reaction score
6622.jpg
6623.jpg

Can anybody identify these teeny-tiny critters? I found them in my Pachytriton brevipes tank while I was looking through a macro lens trying to focus.

TJ

Reaction score
At first, I was ecstatic, thinking my brevipes pair had "spawned" and that these were newly hatched larvae
smile6.gif
...but they are way to small to be anything of the sort. Are they daphnia? I've never dealt with daphnia so am not quite sure what they look like. But I can't see how daphnia could have been introduced to this tank as I haven't added any plants. The only thing I can imagine is that they came in with tubifex, which I occasionally feed to my brevipes. They're definitely not brine shrimp hatchlings, though they move similarly.

martin

Reaction score
These are Cyclops. A small crustacean that has a similar lifecycle as Daphnias.I cant come any closer than to the genus. There are about 10.000 species in this group...

Martin

TJ

Reaction score
Thanks Ralf & Martin! Copepods, cyclops...different things? Whatever, as long as they're harmless, they're welcome
biggrin.gif
Just don't want any harm to come to my 2 brevipes, which are absolutely precious!

6626.jpg

K

kaysie

copepods is a division of crustaceans... i'm pretty sure they're edible... so if you have some larvae, now you've got some food!

J

john

Most people who culture daphnia can't help culturing cyclops too - these guys get in everywhere. They do make good food, though some of them are predatory (usually the bigger species - you'd know them if you saw them).

J

jennifer

I was feeding copepods to larvae last year, as I netted a large quantity at a pond. The larvae ate them, but had a harder time catching them than they do with daphnia. No harm to your newts, and no harm throwing them in with your larvae for food.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1