Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Eating Habits of a California Newt??

H

hailee

I have a 6" california newt that is exteremly lazy. I have try to feed him all sorts of stuff pellets, crickets, worms, and meal worms. 99% of the time he ignores it complete until you can see all of his ribs. I have also try putting him in a seperate contianer and feeding him, but he goes crazy in the seperate tank...since i never pick him and i bet he is confused. I was wondering if anybody was in this situation before, and how did you fix it? or has anybody heard of this or knows the cure to lazy newts?

Thankx,
AnImAl-InSaNe5

P

pin-pin

Hi Hailee,

Seeing all ribs is not good. This means he's sick and you might have to nurse him back a tiny bit at a time.

Try cutting a night crawler up and put the bloody part near its nose. You might see it give some interest, try to grab it, then lose interest. It's kind of like feeding a finicky baby. Keep at it until it finally gives a bite.

I wouldn't feed it as much as it can eat all at once, if it's skinny enough to see ribs, daily small feedings maybe the best way to go.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1