Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Vitamins

F

francesco

Does anyone know if metamorphosed aquatic newts can absorb vitamins from the water? I was thinking of giving them the vitamins that are used for fish but I'm not sure if it would have any effects on metamorphosed adults.

J

juraj

Hi Francesco,

if you use quality live food and keep the animals in right conditions, it`s unnecessary at all, I think.

K

kai

Hi Francesco,

Minute fractions of those vitamins may end up in your newts but it won't help to treat any vitamin deficiencies. Giving vitamins via the tank water doesn't do much good with fishes and will help even less with newts... To get reasonable effects you really have to give the vitamins via the food.

Also make sure that the vitamin mix is suitable for newts/amphibia. AFAIK many vitamin mixes for fishes may be better than some of the herp stuff...

F

francesco

Hi kai,
the problem is how do I put vitamins on the food if it has to go in the water? Powder or drops would come off as soon as the food is put in water
sick.gif
sick.gif
sick.gif

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!