Interesting info -PDF file

it said mailing of any amphibian other than frog is illegal. is that true?

Interesting article.

Here's one part we need to quote occasionally:
"Release into the wild of reptiles or amphibians, or their progeny or eggs, is prohibited except as authorized by the state wildlife agency (50CFR 16.14 and 16.15)."

Here is what I see regarding shipping:
"Reptiles and amphibians that are considered to be harmless can be mailed via the US Postal Service... Airborne Express does allow the shipment of turtles and frogs, though they do not accept live snakes, lizards, and all other reptiles or amphibians... UPS and Federal Express guidelines state that neither of these shippers accept live animals. However, it was reported to us that people do indeed ship reptiles via UPS and Federal Express... shipping counter to counter with an airline is another option."

remember this is a paper written 2001, i'd like to see a current version, if there is one.

Fed-Ex does accept amphibians, as well as lizards and non-venomous herps. You need to contact them and ship a test box (for each type) which is checked out by them. If they approve it you can ship that type of herp with them.

The post office allows the shipment of amphibians but based on the sole judgement of each post office, can refuse to accept the shipment.

Ed

But does Newt and salamander considered as venomous herps? since the skin is poisonous.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back