Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Newt twins!! two sets still in eggs

P

paris

i have found a set of twin larvae a few weeks back (these are c.e.popei) and thought it was an interesing novelty but today i found another set-i have webcam pics of both. i am wondering if there is any merit in raising each set separately to see how they will turn out? i know in many animals latent gene expression exisits and so if they were identical they may still look different, the newer eggs are definatly 2 separate eggs, i am unsure if the older set was from one egg that split or also 2 eggs in 1 eggsac. both have larger than usual egg sacs (to account for having 2 inside) and i believe that identical twins-since split from the same egg-would be smaller than usual-right?
5605.jpg
5606.jpg
5607.jpg

P

paris

i wont bore you with another picture-but who ever is laying these twin eggs did it again, i wonder if its a resource conservation issue?-i have 2 very gravid females and if they have a high egg mass perhaps its more economical for them to process 2 eggs per jelly?

caleb

Reaction score
Hi Paris-

I'm not sure from the photo- but do these eggs look like two embryos in one sac, or two sacs 'glued' together?

I've had the odd double-yolked egg in the past from Triturus species. These have obviously been one sac- they were the normal oval shape, but had two embryos. I've never had one hatch successfully.

J

jonathan

Hi Paris,

I`m a zoologist at the Centre for Fortean Zoology (CFZ). You can find us at www.cfz.org.uk. Would you mind if I printed the double egg pictures in our journal?

jon downes

J

john

Real twin eggs are not rare in Newts - two fused together. Usually one shrinks toward hatching but they both eventually die. Your case just looks like two in the same jelly - that's just the mother laying them and making a booboo when coating them in the liquid that becomes jelly.

P

paris

sure you can use the photograph. as for calebs question they are 2 eggs in 1 sac -definitly, the older ones that are near hatching can be seen to wiggle about each other in the jelly. i do think it may be a coating issue like JC mentioned. im going to check on this from now on-i think since i have 3 sets like this that it is one females doing-i will keep an eye on the mortality issue though-since 2 sets are still in the round ball stage -no heads or tails yet. the origional pair look like they may hatch any day now.

i have another issue though concerning these popei hatchlings...i have some that once they hatch from the eggs still have a curve to them from sitting inside the egg -has any one else had this issue and will it go away ? i see some still curved but am not sure if they are the same that hatched that way or new ones just hatched.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1