Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Planaria

TJ

Reaction score
Natural congregation of planaria on the side of a tank housing Paramesotriton caudopunctatus:

25877.jpg

P

pamela

They remind me of the controversial martian microbes!

Are they a good food source for newts?

(As usual Tim, GREAT pics.)

B

benjamin

I used to have some blue planarians in my C.o. tank. if the newts didn't get to their food fast enough it it would be writhing with these clearish, blueish worms. They were quite large almost 1cm but I have some huge brown ones in my pond which are about 2 cm. How large are the planaria in your aquarium?

TJ

Reaction score
I actually haven't witnessed the caudos eating planaria. I figure that if they do eat them, there would not be so many in this particular tank. They even seem to avoid the bloodworms that are taken over by the planaria. There are many more planaria than can be seen in the above pics, mostly in the gravel.

I've played with the idea of introducing danios to get rid of the planaria. I'd first have to look into temperature tolerance for the different danio species. But I'll be moving in December anyway, so that would be a good time to transfer the newts to a new tank and leave this one to dry out.

Pamela, thanks! Ed, no worries on that score as I haven't been blessed with the same good fortune as Paris. Benjamin, the biggest are around 1 cm, I guess.

J

joseph

Tim: mind doing an experiment of slitting the head or tail of one of them in two lengthwise with a razor? Apparently, you end up with a 2 headed or 2 tailed planaria. hehehe

Wonder if you coukd get 4,8, 16....

(Message edited by fishkeeper on November 09, 2004)

TJ

Reaction score
I'll leave that kind of experimentation to the slicers-and-dicers among us, of which there are many
lol.gif

J

jesper

Oh, a little bird whispered something about Tim thinking about starting to use worms....
biggrin.gif

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1