Chytrid fungus found in two commercial suppliers of red-spotted newts

W

warren

I received this from one of the listserves and thought that it might be appropriate for here. I apologize if this has been previously posted.

Chytridiomycosis Found in Newts Purchased From Commercial Suppliers
During this year (2006) chytridiomycosis, sometimes referred to as 'chytrid fungus' or "Bd" (Batrachochytrium dendrobatidis), was found in red-spotted newts (Notophthalmus viridescens) from two well-known commercial vendors of amphibians. In two shipments received from a vendor in the southern portion of the United States mortality from the disease exceeded 60% of over 400 animals. In another shipment from the East Coast, newts tested positive for the disease but no mortality was experienced ion over a month of quarantine. Although Bd is very wide spread, this may be the first report of infection in a commercial source. The purpose of this note is to alert scientific users to the possibility of the fungus in shipments from these and other suppliers of amphibians. Many species of amphibians in addition to red-spotted newts are susceptible to the disease so the concern extends beyond a single species. Bd infects epidermis where it is saprophytic on keratin and may interfere
with respiration, gas exchange and uptake of chemicals. Infections are frequently lethal. Studies indicate that Bd may be more deleterious to adult and juvenile amphibians than to larvae but larvae may carry the disease only to have it expressed after metamorphosis. Amphibians collected and shipped as eggs or embryos may have lower or no incidence of the disease because keratin has not yet formed in these life stages.

To reduce the potential for problems associated with Bd, we recommend that all shipments of wild-caught larvae, juvenile and adult amphibians be inspected for the fungus. This can be done by having someone experienced with the disease examine epidermal scrapings microscopically or histologically. A more definitive method of determining the presence of Bd is to collect epidermal swabs and have them genetically tested via polymerase chain reaction (PCR). Quarantining animals for two or more weeks prior to placement on study may aid in diagnosis but will not guarantee absence of the disease. Unusually high sloughing of skin seems to be a sign of infection in newts.
Chytridiomycosis may be treated with anti-fungal medication such as trimethoprimsulfadiazine (TMS), miconazole, or itraconazole (Nichols, D.K. and E.W. Lamirande Froglog, the Newsletter of the Declining Amphibian Populations Task Force, August 2001, No.46). However, investigators should consider if the medication will interfere with the results of the research.
For additional information you may contact Dr. Donald Sparling, Cooperative Wildlife Research Laboratory (dsparl@siu.edu) or Gretchen Flohr, Department of Zoology (GPadgettFlohr@aol.com), Southern Illinois University, Carbondale, IL. 62901.

this is highly depressing-and i believe the testing should be made manditory fast. and the shipping containers/storage units should also be treated. i suspect that most shippers are loathe to do more than rinse these containers out at best. i know my LFS doesnt even clean the cages-they just rinse them out maybe 3X per year.

This is unsurprising given that chytrid appears to have been established in some regions of the USA since the 1970s.....

Ed

I have also read about ranavirus being spread through salamander larvae used in the bait trade. I would think this could also be an avenue that chytrid may take if it has not already done so. At least in the pet trade, the fungus stays in captivity, but in the bait trade, it could be reintroduced anywhere.

snip "At least in the pet trade, the fungus stays in captivity"endsnip

I wouldn't say this is an accurate assessment as many people dump the water from enclosure into thier yard, compost substrates etc. Also even if the water is dumped into the sewers to go the treatment plant, there is no guarantee that this will prevent it from making it to the enviroment (particuarly if there is a heavy rain which overloads the treatment plants).

Ed

...not to mention the people that unknowingly or otherwise release unwanted captives in the wild.
Chip

Probably, the problem is much wider spread in the pet trade than reported (see e.g. a report on chytridiomycosis in imported Bolitoglossa dofleini in The Veterinary Record 2004, 154:153). The problem is that, at least for the Belgian situation, once the terraria containing amphibians are contaminated, the fungus is passed to all subsequent batches of animals (these containers are mostly not decontaminated between batches). For my own animals, I always have a quarantine period of at least 3 months (no matter where the animals come from) and all animals are examined for Bd and, in the case of mortality, iridovirosis.

Frank, I'm interested in how you get your animals checked for Bd?

Alan, if available, wet mounts of shed skin are observed microscopically. Otherwise, skin swabs are collected for PCR (not qRT). Dead animals are necropsied and histology performed on skin.

I'm interested in the PCR as I don't believe other methods are particularly accurate - is there a commercial service available?

From having worked in the pet trade and having seem importer/exporter facilities, I can say that Frank's comment is correct here also.

Ed

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back