New 10-litre tank

M

melissa

well i went into town to get something completely different and i have returned with a new glass 10 gallon tank. my 2 existing c.orientallis are in a nd happy but i was wonderring if i have room for any more in there? to increse chances of breeding.

can someone change the title to new 10 litre tank? thankyou
happy.gif
i made a bit of an error on the units lol. oh and change the gallons to litres in the message. thankyou again.

(Message edited by flame on June 26, 2005)

10 liters tank? that's like less than 3 gallons..
I'd say it's crowded with 2 FBN..

What are the dimensions of the aquarium? length, width, height?

theyve been in smaller and they bred and seemed happy. er dimensions. ill look. 20cm in height. 45cm in length and width is 20cm

<font color="ff0000">This post has been moved to the General Discussion area from the Fire-Belly Newts area because the subject matter is general.</font>

that's a 10 litre tank when it's half full.
The 45 cm makes the difference, it means they can actually move some before they bump into the other side.

I guess 3 - 4 animals could be ok in it.

When putting in a land part, try designing it so it takes as little away from the aquatic part as possible.

Melissa,
Ester is right, these dimensions make it an 18 litre-tank.

A rough estimate for a tank size for newts is delivered by the following formula, which can be found in the captive care guidelines for caudate species of AG Urodela („Haltungsrichtlinien“ in German):
Total length of <u>one</u> adult specimen in cm x 0,01 = floor space of tank in sqm for <u>two</u> newts respectively 1 pair.
Multiply this by 1,25 for each additional animal.
Height of the tank should be 1/3 to 1/2 of tank length.

Example: Take the length of an ordinary and average Cynops newt with e.g. 10 cm (for the sake of simplification).
10 cm x 0,01 = 0,1 sqm. 0,1 sqm is the equivalent of a tankbottom measuring 25 cm x 40 cm which is sufficient for a pair of firebellies. A tank with a 0,125 sqm bottom (ca. 30 cm x 40 cm) should thus be sufficient for three Cynops newts.

Note that these are estimates for minimum and long-term tank sizes for adult newts. Raising tanks for larvae, juvenile setups and short-term transport solutions might be stocked more densely. However, it is never good to overcrowd and the animals will also thrive in bigger tanks.
biggrin.gif

Hope this makes sense to you.
dizzy.gif

(Message edited by ralf on June 28, 2005)

Thank you for your tip on newt to cage ratio I know know my cage can fit 3-4 newts

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back