Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Is this Eurycea bislineata?

S

sean

I commonly find these sallies hanging out on rocks in the creek and on rocks by the bank. I have always thought they where Eurycea bislineata or Two Lined salamanders but these are much longer than what Caudata Culture says.The two specimens I caught tonight are about 6 inches long.
41872.jpg

E

edward

Looks like a great three-lined to me (the one on the rock also looks to be a male).

Ed

S

sean

Both have "Fangs" extruding from there lower jaws so I think they are both males. I have been tempted to keep a breedable pair but wild collecting is something I have never done.An overnight stay is all they usually get from me. I feel confident that I can give them good homes and the thought of a long aquarium with a rock wall and a flowing stream is tempting. I know it is hypocritical to feel bad about wild collecting and turn around and buy wildcaught newts like I have done. I like the thread in this same section about ethics and wild collecting.It has me thinking alot about these type situations.For now I am planning on returning these guys to the spots I found them in.

J

jennifer

Nice ones. Sean, may I use your photos for the species entry on Caudata Culture?

S

sean

Yes.It would be an honor to be able to contribute.I can also take pics of the place I caught them at for a habitat reference. Im going there now to release these guys and I will snap a few pics and email them to you.

E

edward

Hi Sean,
If you have other amphibian species, then you should not be releasing the animals after you have had them in the house. This is a potential method by which pathogens can be introduced into the local ecosystem.

This is a species that as an adult does well in captivity but I have yet to see any cb offspring for sale anywhere.

Ed

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1