Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Keeping Ambystoma Aquatic

J

jeff

I wasn't sure where to post this, so I thought this would be fine. I have 2 a.gracile, one that has just moprhed, and one thats not morphing. I have been watching them both very closely over the last few weeks, and I have more or less decided to try something I have been wondering about. I am going to keep this tank aqautic and keep them both in it. I know that the morphed one is ready for land, but it is doing great as he/she continues to live underwater. Its eating well, its behavior is normal, and it is not really trying to get out of the water. There is a large ammount of plants at the water line, which is not all the way up to the top. It can get out if it wants, but is seems to like the moss near the center the best. What is your guys opinion on this? has this been done before? if so, what results have been expirienced? Is there anything diffrent about the organisms ability to absorb oxygen that coudl be a problem?

This is a interesting area that i can't find any information on, any help is appreciated.

(Message edited by newtsrfun on September 22, 2006)

W

warren

Jeff, I have noticed that sub-adult metamorphosed A gracile do not shy from the water as well. In addition, neotenes are well documented for this species, especially at the higher elevations. It is possible that your other specimen will remain neotonic. Keeping the temps cooler will more than likely help it remain larval. According to the literature, this species has a wide range of population characteristics regarding metamorphosis. Some populations will always metamorphose, some will never metamorphose, and some may or may not metamorphose depending on conditions.
I don't have enough experience to advise you on keeping the metamorph in a totally aquatic environment and will let someone more knowledgeable address that. Good luck!

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1