Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Magic worm farm

W

wm.

Anybody have any experience with the "magic" worm farm products? They have a container, bedding and food combo that they say will be all you need to raise your own worms.

morg

Reaction score
I dont know of worm farm products, but here in the UK there are numerous companies selling worm composting bins.
These generally do really well, without smelling if cared for correctly.
If your amphibians will eat composting worms then once the worm bin gets going you should never have to buy another worm.
Try to get Dendrabeana veneta[wrong spelling?] worms if possible, as most newts toads and salamanders will take these in my experience.

M

mik

I buy worms from bait shop there are plenty about. Last time I paid 4 quid for a tub 200x100x30. It was packed with dendrethingies and they lasted about 3 weeks feeding 7 axies. Everyone was devoured. ouldn't you know it couldn't get any this week!

dot

Reaction score
I see you're from the States, so hopefully this will help:

I haven't had any personal experiences with the "Magic Worm" Farm/Ranches, but one of my friends has a farm he got from Ward's Natural Science (http://wardsci.com) and hasn't had anything negative to say about it, but as far as I know he doesn't use his worms for feeding anything.

If you don't want to spend the money, start a compost heap in your backyard. We've had one in our backyard for years and the worms there are huge.

Hope that helps.

J

jenny

ive been meaning to ask this Q for a while but keep forgetting....but now uve mentioned worms ive remembered.... when i dig for earthworms i sometimes come across kind of yellow ones. and when i go to feed em to my axolotls...they feel really kind of stiff especially when they go in water. what is this because of? or are the dif kind of worms?

J

jennifer

I haven't ordered from Magic Worms, but I did ask them a question and got a decent answer. They have been around for several years.

An inexpensive worm farm can be constructed using coconut fiber bedding, a big plastic tub, and some kind of tray to catch liquid (or a larger tub around the first). I have been using these kinds of tubs for European nightcrawlers and they works fine. The best food I've found for them are melon rinds (the best!), banana peels, and other fruit/vegetable waste.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1