Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

OurTaricha is glad this place exists. Thanks!

kevin

Reaction score
Just thought I should say thanks to all the good folks here that offer advice to new caregivers.
I've been lurking about here for months (ever since the "Christmas Present Fire-Bellied Newt Tragedy" - I'll post about that later).

Thanks to your message board, our little Taricha Granulosa (Vader) has survived our tank set-up and the whole "water cycling drama".

I never expected a newt to have such character. I am shocked at the behavior that seems almost "social". He actually pays attention to people as they come into the room. I know he just wants food but it is cute none the less. He's become another loved member of our family.

We couldn't have got this far without you. Thanks Again.

H

hayden

Your very welcome, Kevin. I'm glad you found this forum. Its helped me with almost every aspect of keeping caudates.

J

joan

Kevin, the best part about Taricha is their outgoing personality. I chalk it up to their being so toxic that in the wild, they have few natural enemies and are not scared of predators. The same behavior is seen in dart frogs.

Glad your little guy is doing well.

G

gord

Kevin:

Yes..this place is an amazing source of info. I'm much better at keeping my pets thanks to the expert help here and I feel like part of a community.

Wouldn't it be wonderful if everyone who bought a newt was instructed to go here before they made the mistakes we've all made. I killed a couple frogs and newts before I realized mixing is so bad. Yet they are almost always mixed together in pet stores.

I'd like to hear you christmas firebelly story.I nearly lost my beloved shanjing over the holidays as well. Thankfully, the folks here walked me through it. Both newts are doing great now.

Gord

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1