Alkalinity

J

jake.

I bought some test strips today to test my C. Orientalis' water. The strips weren't specifically for aquarium use, more for pools, but i figured they work well enough. Anyway, when i tested the water it turned out that it is high in alkalinity!? Does this matter?
dizzy.gif

thanks,

Hi jake,

test strips are not always very accurate and in fact, most bottled kits for aquarium use only have a six month life after opening.

One thing you have to remember for the pH scale is that it is logarithmic. The scale works in multiples of ten.

For example if '7' is neutral; then '8' is ten times more alkaline.
Then '9' is 10 times more alkaline than '8' and 100 times more alkaline than 7 and so on...

So if it reads high pH the water could be many times removed from its natural range and cause stress to the newts.

Most of your local aquatic shops will sell accurate test kits and even better most will test a sample for free for you if you take one in in a clean jar.

So, i'd say that this is worth checking again and then if it is still really alkaline we can look for reasons for the high alkalinity.

All my tanks sit at about 7.5

hope that helps
C

The pH is 7 but the alkalinity is high!? Does this make scents??
PS: Im new to this!)

Okay, i get you...

If the alkalinity is high then it means that there is a lot of carbonate and bicarbonate in the water...

Perhaps there is something in the tank or in your tap water that is making it high? the sand or gravel?

what is the test kit and what is the actual result?

I have gravel in the bottom of it. the test kit is called Bio-Lab they are actually for hot tubs but it tests for bromine, chlorine, alkalinity, and pH using little strips that colorize when wet. The alkalinity was 180! pH was 7.4, chlorine and bromine were 0.

You can buy black water extract from local fish shops or something similar like peat sold for discus tanks but I dont think you will need it.

have you tested your tap water? that will give a good clue...

You could try adding a bit of bogwood from an aquatic shop?

over time the alkalinity will decrease but to be honest 180 is high but not really too high. Just means your newts will not have any problems with their skeletal growth
happy.gif

Thanks for all the help, i'll leave the water alone for now, see is anything improves. Thanks,

Jake, high alkalinity is probably nothing to worry about. In my experience, Cynops tolerate it just fine. It could be high because of evaporation. If you keep putting in more water without ever taking much water back out, then the alkalinity will gradually increase.

Only diss for having hard water is that it leaves really bad water stains. Unless you are raising delicate fish, or maybe some salamander which I don't know of that likes blackwater, leave it be.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back