Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Bloodworms

S

sari

Has anyone tried feeding live (as opposed to frozen) bloodworms to their newts? My paramesotriton has been eating frozen ones, but I just got some live ones from a local pet shop. I was told to keep them in the fridge in some water, that they don't need any food, and that they should live for about a month. Anyone have any opinions or experience with this?

A

aaron

Live bloodworms are just fine. Just be sure that he eats them all, because they will turn into a mosquito-like creature. Chances are that they are actually live blackworms, in which case they are still a good food.

~Aaron

E

elisabeth

Be careful of blackworm infestations. A few got away and into the gravel in the tank. Before I knew it, I had a whole colony in there!

mike

Reaction score
Live bloodworm are imported from Holland into the UK.
They are packaged in just damp newspaper, and actually keep fresher in the fridge, if left out of water.
Dont worry too much about the mossies, they are not the biting kind!

S

sari

How can I tell if they are bloodworms or blackworms? I really woudln't be surprised if this pet shop got it wrong... Do you need to feed them anything, like the same way you would gutload a cricket?

S

sari

Oh, and are there any nutritional benefits to live vs frozen? My newt seems to eat them pretty readily either way.

J

jennifer

True bloodworms are red and look like the frozen ones, sort of like giant mosquito larvae. Live blackworms are like very skinny earthworms, and they tangle themselves together in a ball. Just to confuse people, some pet shops call their live blackworms "bloodworms". I think both are good nutritionally. It would be good to use both.

martin

Reaction score
I get through ten bags of bloodworm a week.(£3)
I keep them in a fridge,they last about a week . I get fresh weekly, i rinse them in a net under the tap for a few minutes, the water they come in gets i bit smelly after 3 or 4 days.
All of my newts eat live bloodworm weekly as well as waxworm ,crickets and the top newt fodder earthworms.
They are excellent for rearing larvae and juvs.

J

jennifer

I should point out that the folks talking about true live bloodworms are all in the UK or elsewhere in Europe. Here in the US (and probably Canada) the only live bloodworms are the mis-labeled blackworms.

mike

Reaction score
Martin, where do you get your bloodworms from? All the tackle shops around here (UK) only seem to sell maggots
violent.gif

caleb

Reaction score
Mike- like Martin, I get through about ten bags a week at the moment- I get mine from an aquarium shop. Most of the shops round here (NE England) that sell tropical fish sell live bloodworm, daphnia and brine shrimp.

I'd be interested if anyone knows if you can buy them without the bags- it's wasteful and annoying cutting them out of the bags.

mike

Reaction score
I doubt that you will find bloodworms "loose" in an aquarium shop Caleb.
They are packed for display, and are more profitable if sold that way!

justin

Reaction score
i have a great dealer of loose blood worm and it works out a lot cheaper than the little bags you get from pet stores problem is im in the southeast and i no caleb lives far away from me

martin

Reaction score
Hi Mike,
I get my bloodworm from local aquarian shop,fishing tackle shops will get you bloodworm bulk wrapped in newspaper and loam. Match anglers use bloodworm for bait. The match anglers also call bloodworm jokers.

S

sari

So I guess the bloodworms that I thought I had are actually blackworms. I sprinkled some fish food into their water, and they all bunched up in a knot right where I put it... I guess they were eating it. I hope its good for them. And the newt that will eat them.

E

elisabeth

There are no Petcos in England, huh? That's where I get mine.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!