Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Hamburg, Pa. reptile show

michael

2010 Research Grant Donor
Reaction score
The Hamburg, Pa. reptile show was crazy yesterday. (Feb. 24, 07.) I got to meet a lot of Caudata.org members their and had a good time. If you were at my stand and I didn't have enough time to visit with you I'm sorry. Their were over 2500 people there. Their were a lot of amphibians there but not as many as I have seen in the past. It was a bad week for vendors that get their animals shipped in. The show seems to get larger and larger. Parking, standing in line, and moving around were a little problem but all in all it was a good time. I found out some more about Pa's new reptile and amphibian laws. In a nutshell their is still some confusion in the gov't about it. Tiger salamanders might not be allowed in Pa. depending on who you talk to or which list you read. I don't think their will be any problem on the hobbyist level but their will be problems on selling.
The next Hamburg, Pa. show is April 28, 07

D

dawn

It was great to meet you too! My newts are in their new homes and they are so beautiful, all of them like little jewels. It sure was a madhouse though! I was on line for an hour. But it was worth it!!

J

john

Mike

I've never been to that one but had been planning on it several times. Do they have a website of all future dates? Sounds like that would be a good one to sell some leos at.

michael

Reaction score
I'm blushing from Dawn's compliments. Do a search on Northern berks reptile show and on Northwestern Berks reptile show. Their are 2 sets of shows at Hamburg, Pa. Their are 2 different organizers. Some dates are April 28, June 9, Aug 4, Oct. 20, and Dec. 1 If you want to get a table you have to reserve early.

F

foster

Michael,
I realize that this is straying a bit off topic but you should really consider setting up at Daytona. I bet that you would do well there.
Chip

J

john

Thanks Mike

I don't have much stock right now. I might try to look to the August dates. Those table rates aren't too bad for a show of that size either.

michael

Reaction score
I'm working on doing less shows. Daytona would be fun but a logistic nightmare for me. I think Hamburg, Pa. is the next best thing and less than an hour from my home. My amphibian business is really more of a hobby than anything.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1