Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Crocodile Hunter Steve Irwin dies

J

jeff

I just heard about this tonight, just tragic.

http://tvnz.co.nz/view/page/411424/825836

Television personality and environmentalist Steve Irwin has died in a marine accident in north Queensland, state government sources say.

It is understood Irwin was killed by a sting-ray barb that went through his chest while swimming off the Low Isles at Port Douglas where he was filming an underwater documentary.

Ambulance officers confirmed they attended a fatality.

Irwin - known worldwide The Crocodile Hunter - is famous for his enthusiasm for wildlife and his catchcry "Crikey!"

The Crocodile Hunter programme was first broadcast in 1992 and has been shown around the world on cable network Discovery.

He has also starred in movies and has developed the Australia Zoo wildlife park, north of Brisbane, which was started by his parents Bob and Lyn Irwin.

Irwin is survived by his American-born wife Terri, daughter Bindi and son Bob.

It is believed Terri Irwin is trekking on Cradle Mountain in Tasmania and has yet to be told of her husband's death.

However I do suppose taking those risks with deadly animals will eventually catch up to you...

A

adam

i heard about the legend dieing earlier today...
i am in utmost shock at the moment. He was our icon, my brothers idol. The look on many peoples faces told the story of shock, gr$eif, confusion, sadness, and sheer disbelief.
I pray for him and his family
At least he died doing the thing he loved most, working with animals.

God bless our legendary icon

D

dane

omg, i heard someone say this while i was playing counter-strike(online game)
I didnt beleive them....thats very sad, he was one of my favs
when I was little my mom used to call me the frog hunter(after the crocodile hunter)
so sad...
cry.gif

D

dane

69899.jpg

original pic from,
rfleming.rmplc.co.uk/diarypics/Crikeysteve.jpg

P

paris

big pity too that we have heard of this before his wife knows

J

jazz

I can't believe it. He was so awesome. He was an inspiration to me, because I've always wanted to work with wildlife in the rainforest. If he could do it I knew it was possible. The news article i read said his family has been informed. I hope his kids can handle it. It'll be extremely tough, but I'll be praying too.

Legends Never Die. He was one for me.

A

alex

His death is a real loss to the ecological community. He may have seemed outrageous at times, but he accomplished so much for bringing conservation into the open; and he educated millions about the world around us, bringing about a future group of herpetologists. He was truly an asset and will be greatly missed. On a more personal note, he was sort of a personal hero who inspired me to get out and look around.

S

stewart

yes his death was a tradgic one. He swam above a sting ray and suddenly got hit through the chest. His staff hoped he felt no pain as the barb went through the hart. Most people here are just glad that he died doing what he loved. He died at 11.40am Australian eastern standrd time Monday fourth septamber+

A

adam

He will be sorely missed, Not only did he do more for animals worldwide then dare i say any other person living or otherwise but he was also a down to earth aussie galah.

We will miss you Steve!

D

denise

i live in cairns and everyone in town is very shocked. we knew straight away. we saw and heard the helicopter bringing his body back into cairns. we go snorkelling all the time were steve died and have never heard of this happening before, i even swim with stingrays and never had a problem, it truly was just a freak accident. my heart goes out to his family, he was always in cairns and we saw him often, great guy and the world will be short a hero

W

wyatt

Well, at least he dies doing what he loved. He wants to be remembered for his fight for the conservation of the world's animals. Steve irwin has touched people around the world.

You knew that what he dies from would be a freak accident, something that happens to nobody. He has handled so many thing that could have easily killed him, but he has never gotten hurt by one of them fatally. Even on his deathbed, you could probably hear him saying, that was totally my fault, i should have been more careful as he always said.

E

edward

Okay people, time to get back to caudate posts on this forum.

Ed

P

paris

well on a caudate/steve related question -did he ever do any thing with giant salamanders? or did he stick to strictly aussie stuff?

J

john

I just want to add something. I too was shocked to hear about this. I read about it and I spent a good 48 hours mulling over the irony. That man did a lot of great things for animals and Australia's image/tourism, that can't be denied, but he certainly used up his 9 lives many times over. Don't get me wrong, I am saddened by his death. The world is a poorer place for his loss. However, I sincerely hope his legacy doesn't include children around the world who don't show the proper respect (or fear!) of dangerous animals.

S

stewart

Paris: steve went all over the world trying to protect animals. Native and not native to Australia. Not shoure that he did anything with amphibians though

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!