Laterite, flourite, and other plant substrates/fertilizers

I

^imp^

I would like to keep a decent, planted tank with a newt or two. However, I don't know how to go about fertilizing the plants since amphibians are so sensitive to water quality.

I guess my question is: Does anyone have experience keeping newts in a well-planted tank (decent lighting, plant substrate such as flourite or laterite, and CO2 injection)?

I am particularly cautious about the laterite, since it can muck up the water fairly easily.

I use laterite w/ many of my newts, and they are all fine. Laterite however just provides extra iron for the plants. You would still need fertilizer-I've only used the Kent brand and have had no problems. I've also used CO2 injection, and as long as you do regular water changes, you will have no problems.

~Aaron

If you choose your aquatic plants carefully,you should not need any fertilizer.
One of my tanks has been up and running for three years now,with just a grow light, all plants are still going strong.
Plants include various Anubias, with Anubias nana nana, growing slowly, but expanding each year.
Other plants in the tank include java fern and java moss, willow moss, and a few that I do not recall the name of, but were chosen due to them needing low light levels.
Some plants are rooted in gravel, while all the above can be attatched to rocks or wood if prefered.
Plants such as elodea are added to the tank when egg laying is expected, and grows well, in fact I find it grows too well,filling the tank, so I remove this after egg laying.
Not being an expert in plants for the aquarium, I originaly contacted a plant dealer, explained what I was after and he helped me sort through the plants that would be better for my needs.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back