Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Eastern Newt Breeding?

B

brian

Can anyone tell me how they go about getting their Eastern Newts to breed? I've read the care sheets and books. Has anyone ever had success by putting them in the refrigerator for a month?

al

Reaction score
The breeding season is over for them in most parts of the country. The Notopthalmus sp. found in warmer climates (Southeast) seem to breed easily with the room temperature drop of 10-12degrees (F) and the normal change in light cycle. If your newts are from a colder climate, they may need temperatures that are refridge range. Sometimes garages in the wintertime that is unheated stays in the 40-50F range (depends on your location).
After a cooling period, place them in a well planted tank with lots of live food (black worms and even zoo plankton) and simulate springtime. The temps only need to be in the high 50F. They should start showing their breeding characteristics. They do lock together with their hind feet and the males have a noticeable caudle fin with pronounced cloaca. Females are very plump and round. Try different plants and have lots on board to remove the egg infested ones with fresh (elodea and eel grass works well)
Got to warn you though, efts are very pretty to look at, but can be difficult to rear in large quantities. The first several months after metamorphosis was always a challenge for me with feeding land based microfoods (fruit flies/pinheads)
good luck
Al

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1