MSU Herp Night!

K

kaysie

On March 21, from 6-9 (ish) on the first floor of the Natural Sciences building on MSU Campus, the MSU Herp Club is sponsoring the first annual MSU Herp Night (We're calling it "Snakes on a Campus").

If anyone in the general Michigan area would like to come, please come out and show your support!

Special guests include Preuss's Pets, Michigan DNR, Michigan Natural Features Inventory, and more!

All are welcome
happy.gif

Our main goal is to promote education about herps, why one should keep herps, and what herps make bad pets (iguanas, giant snakes, etc). We're hoping to draw families, and are advertising in pet stores, elementary schools, and all over campus.

Yuman Lee, a key person in Michigan Natural Features Inventory is lined up to do a talk on Massasauga rattlesnakes. The DNR is gearing theirs toward survey work. Jim Harding will be doing his wood turtle speech. JP Lawrence will be talking about captive care of dart frogs. Edi Sonntag will be giving a brief presentation on her stint at EVACC in Panama.

Club members will be bringing in their range of critters. Lined up we have a handful of ball pythons, an anaconda, redtail boas, my assortment of salamanders, tortoises, baby turtles, maybe a crested gecko, etc.

We want to get the word out that herps are awesome! And hopefully raise some awareness for them. We also want to use this time to advertise our Second Annual Campus-wide Survey, which will be on April 21 (we didn't plan it to be on Earth Day, it just kind of happened that way).

I would absolutely love to attend! I had a part involvement in the conservation of mississauga rattlers a few years back when I helped with a release program at ojibway park here in Windsor. I took care of some babies at a wildlife centre I volunteered at. Would love to learn more! Where is MSU? I am looking it up on map quest right now!

MSU is in East Lansing, MI. From Windsor, it's maybe a 3 hour drive at most, including traffic, border crossing, whatnot.

I will see what i can do...i would like to take a bus, however, not being from the area (and detroit is pretty scary) I will see if I can get a ride, or something. My mother in law would, but she's ill, in hospital. She lives near Chesterfield, I don't know what to do!

As you can see, Kaysie, I didn't make it...lack of wheels.. how did it go? Any photos? I have heard of a reptile show, I think it's at Gibralter...I finally have a car, as of monday, I'll be mobile again!! WOOHOO! Have an more Herp nights planned?

It went well, much better than anticipated.

On April 21, we're having our Second Annual Campus-Wide survey, if you'd like to participate.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back