Tank Mates For Firebellies?

ryan

Reaction score
Country
United States
Display Name
Ryan
I know that you guys are opposed to species mixing, and I know exactly why(anyone that mixes FB toads or paddle tails with FB newts should be shot) however, I think that for a healthy environment you need some fish in order to maintain the biological filtration process(it seems that some of you miss this key point)... well, I got rid of my goldfish because I figure that he'll be getting too damn big and scare the crud out of my newts, so what fish do your recommend that can live in the same environment(cold water, not too big, and is docile) as a C. Orientalis and not stress them out?

P.S. What methods do you guys use for cooling your tanks? It seems very difficult.

(Message edited by hothsnake on April 06, 2005)

(Message edited by hothsnake on April 06, 2005)

Fish are not needed to maintain biological filtration as newts make plenty of their own ammonia to keep the filter going.

For cooling tanks, many people use a fan blowing across the top or frozen water bottles floated in the tank.

Thanks for your response. For some reason I didn't realize that newts piss too..
dizzy.gif
Anyhow, I would like to add some fish for aesthetic value.. Any recommendations?

Personally, i wouldn't add fish, if you really want to though i guess white clouds would be one that springs to mind

Hi Ryan,

This is my broken record, "If You Have To Get Fish (with your newts)", theme song:

WHITECLOUDS. Learn about them on the Internet. Also quarantine any new fish before adding them with your newts. You'll love them.
happy.gif

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back