Help with newts

C

connor

help(again)
i've been looking at some different types of newts to breed but i cant seem to put my finger on a sertain type. i looked at mandarin newts but they are supposidly really hard to breed, and now i'm looking at fire salamanders. has anyone ever had any breeding experience with them? and how much do they cost? i was also looking at the himalayan croc. newt but i did'nt quite get a price or how hard they are to breed. can anyone help me?
thanx, crocnewt

This is probably the best thread to post it. I am currently trying to get some newts as pets, i have a 10gal. tank and was wondering how many i could keep in there, i am currently interested in firebelly newts as they are the only ones ive found in pet stores (and i dont think they sell these online!) now im looking to getting some (again as pets, although wouldnt mind if they bred). a had a few years ago a firebelly newt in a 5gal tank and it seemed to live pretty happy in there (i was even considering adding another), so i was wondering if anyone could help as far as how many i could keep in there and about how much land these need.
i would also appreciate any suggestions as to other species, i would like to keep at least 2 newts, although 4 would be great, but again, i only have a 10 gal.

Most common type of firebellies r cynops orientalis. Do not mix species. 10 gal shd fit 4 orientalis fine. read up on their care sheet first http://www.caudata.org/caudatecentral/caresheets/C_orientalis.html. For land most orientalis prefer a small land area like a small rock or drift wood jutting slightly out of the water. Some species like paddle tails must be kept individually cuz thye're highly territorial. Pleurodeles Waltls and Tylotriton Verrcosus are hardier than orientalis. The lower the newt to tank capacity ratio, the better cuz water will be more stable. All the best.

Sam

If you want aquatic one there can only be one!
Pleurodeles waltl(spanish ribbed newt) - hardy active and funny - breeds like rabbits.
blush.gif

When it comes to terrestrial ones I'd go with Jennifer's advise.

thanks for the advice jesper and samuel, i read the sheet on ribbed newts and i think my tank wouldnt be able to fit these. im sticking to c. orientalis for now, since i can fit more of them comfortably in my tank.

Chris, it'll be easier to take care of fewer animals. Taking care of a bunch of orientalis would definitely be more difficult than a pair of pleuros since the latter is much more hardier and tolerant of high temperatures than the former. I got orientalis cuz i bought em b4 discovering this site (also becuz the shops only sells orientalis). Maybe u would want to start on 2 orientalis and expand ur collection when the first 2 are settled. However, u must have prior knowledge on quarantinig animals (just ask anyone here). Keeping orientalis i'd say is very rewarding. Mine come up to greet me everytime i approach the tank. Though i suspect it's worms they want and not me, i prefer to live in blissful ignorance
wink.gif

i too have kept orientalis before and it is indeed very rewarding (also i am familiar with their needs, ive never kept any other type of amphibian!), i intend to start out with a small number of them, not a bunch, and as far as expanding goes, ill let them breed.
Thanks for the concern!

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back