What should I consider getting?

J

joshua

I'm curious as to what kind of salamander or newt I should get, I like the Spotted Salamander, Tiger Salamander, Axolotl, Eastern Newt, Fire-Bellied Newt, and Marbled Salamander. I would like to get 2 species to start with, I have kept some local species for a while before, but I never had the proper info I needed on them until now, where I have people who love caudata able to help me with info if I need it.

Well, many of the salamanders that you have listed, some from my own experience, and some from what others have told me, are good beginner species. It really depends on what you can accommodate. Do you have enough room for the slightly larger animals? Would it be more convenient for you to keep terrestrial or aquatic animals? Do you want 2 similar species, or 2 very different species? Are you interested in breeding your animals (because the Tiger salamander has seldom been bred in captivity)? What type of personality do you want them to have, do you want secretive animals or animals that beg all the time (though with enough attention I think all the animals you've listed will become beggars)? Do you want the animals to be proudly on display or off to the side?

After taking these factors into consideration then you can deduce what you want.

"Do you have enough room for the slightly larger animals?"

Yes, I have plenty of room.

"Would it be more convenient for you to keep terrestrial or aquatic animals?"

It makes no difference, I have terrestrial and aquatic animals already.

"Do you want 2 similar species, or 2 very different species?"

I would probobly enjoy them more if they were 2 very different species.

"Are you interested in breeding your animals (because the Tiger salamander has seldom been bred in captivity)?"

I am, but that's not of big importance to me, I'd rather get down all aspects of their care before thinking about breeding them.

"What type of personality do you want them to have, do you want secretive animals or animals that beg all the time (though with enough attention I think all the animals you've listed will become beggars)?"

Well, they don't have to be beggers, I already have the turtles who beg constantly. And I have secretive animals like my brown anoles, mantellas, and tomato frog. So it makes no difference, I don't make a show out of feeding my animals.

"Do you want the animals to be proudly on display or off to the side?"

Everything becomes a bit of a display to me, regardless of what the animal is, it'll be sharing space with lots of other tanks.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back