Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Axoltls and other species in the wild?

D

dine

hello! i will be travelling to Mexico in november, so im looking for infos where i can see axolotls in the wild life, and why not another interesting species as well... but mostly im looking for the best places for axolotls, i dont want to miss this only opportunity! some tips for nature tourism? thank you!

B

benjamin

unfortunately axolotls haven't been seen in the wild for many years and are most likely extinct in the wild.

P

peter

Axolotls are not extinct in the wild, but they are critically endangered. It's unlikely that you would be able to find one. Aquatic salamanders can also be difficult to locate in the wild, and my best guess is that they'd be in the deeper areas of the lake where you wouldn't be able to see, even if you gained access to the area.

J

john

Document for us any finds you make. Nice pictures of some of those mesoamerican species are hard to come by.

D

dine

thanx Chris and Wouter for the links, its very helpful - now i have some idea where to look for and ill try to contact people from the conservation project in Xochimilco... i hope it will be possible to visit their structure there...
Chris, is this article in the BHS bulletin possible to read somewhere on the internet??
ill have a foto camera for sure and im used to check every water i meet, so ill send pictures if ill be lucky
happy.gif

N

nate

One should not forget that Mexicans also call Bipes and other amphisbaenids "ajolotes/axolotls" as well. Semantic circles here, folks.
crazy.gif

M

mark

Hmm, "a movement in the scientific community to use axolotl for only Ambystoma mexicanum?" To me that in itself seems rather contradictory. As far as I know the scientific community does not rely upon common names nor does it officially designate a common name for a species.

I think you and Mike G are arguing the same point - common names are often misleading. In this case the term axolotl may be applied to many species of Mexican Ambystomatids, as Mike G originally stated.

N

nate

Mark: Not so...many scientists, when officially describing a new species, will also provide an "official" common name. Take for instance the new Plethodon from California, Plethodon asupak: the authors decided it will be called the Scott Bar salamander.

Michael is right overall, there is a push to reserve the term "axolotl" for A. mexicanum, while the other mexican Ambystoma get names like Lake Lerma salamander or Tarahumara salamander. So to argue that they all get called "axolotl" is indeed much like saying all Ambystoma larvae here in the US get called "waterdogs". It's not an "official" common name for them all, but rather a local term.

M

mark

Unfortunately this conversation has been dragged far from its original topic into a debate over semantics.

Nate- thanks for correcting me. I was unaware that common names were actually designated to species. Regardless, just because there is an official common name does not mean it is the only one applied.

Perhaps there is a shift in thinking to apply the word axolotl to A. mexicanum exclusively. Nevertheless, I think Dine would benefit more from knowing that currently and to the locals in the area she will be visiting, the term axolotl/alojote is loosely applied and can mean any number of species (apparently not restricted just to caudates/Ambystoma).

I

ira

i am also intersted to find out if there is a map somwhere showing locals of different mexican species. I am going to be doing alot of field work in mexico during the next 2-3 years and would like to keep my eye out for any native caudates.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1