Salamander behavior

Z

zachary

Hi everyone-
I am an animal science major at college,UConn to be exact, and for my animal behavior class we have to do a 5 page paper on any animal behavior. And seeing as I have had salamanders for 3 years now, I was thinking of doing it on them. A topic I was thinking was comparison of the breeding and rearing of young of Marbled sals and fire sals because they both have the unique style of breeding/birthing. If you could tell me any sources,that would be helpful. I can only use two internet, and I think I have 3-4 books on salamanders and I can use the past issue of Reptile magazine too. Thanks,

Zach

Well see if your college has journals like Animal Behavior and the herp journals. Then do a search for your species names as well as the behaviors you want.

There's a lot of stuff on Plethodon behavior I think. Not sure about those two species.

Actually you could pull off a multiple species thing, but in that case keep it to one behavior. For instance, I remember seeing articles on females and males punishing each other when they come back with another salamanders scent on them.

The topic you picked might be hard to do if you want my opinion. Well without a more general approach and more evolutionary stuff then pure behavior.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back