Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

No one owns smooth newts these days

F

fintan

i remember the good old days.... hey iv got a new smooth newt wanna come over and see it! and youd be like wow! a smooth newt! but now its all fire bellies etc
sad.gif
so im just wonderin if anyone owns any these days?

W

william

I have two pairs of vulgaris and helveticus breeding in an outdoor vivarium. They are what i call proper newts, not like all these foreigners :p

C

christopher

we've got a population in the backgarden which i introduced a few years ago and have been breeding on and off ever since. great newts, really interesting when kept in a tank for breeding during the spring/summer months. can't say as i ever found them to be secretive either, infact quite the opposite

A

alan

They are secretive in the terrestrial phase = 90% of the year.

C

christopher

i'd argue otherwise, we have them in the ponds from late february till the end of the summer, which is at least 6 months of the year. i've also kept them in tanks for breeding for a good 4 months of the year when i bother with it, in an aquatic setup.

Chris

F

fintan

its good to know theres people out there
smile.gif
they are quite fussy about temprature thats why i keep them outside!

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1