Illegal activity

K

kaysie

I recently received a private message from a new member that I'll copy and paste here, as it sort of worries me.

Congratulations! You have received a private message from the following discussion forum user: krycek

-----------------------------------------------------------

hi... im a cuban guy...and i want to have a newt... hjere in cuba we dont have ... but im an anphibian fan,... and im willint o buy one... right now i have a friend in canada ...if that can help if not ...what should i do to get a newt... well a pair so they can breed... please forgive my awfull english...

-----------------------------------------------------------

If you would like to view this user's profile, use the following link:

http://www.caudata.org/forum/cgi-bin/board-profile.cgi?action=view_profile&profile=krycekuva-users

This person definately reminds me of another cuban member who has been asking for various species lately, and I thought everyone should know, just in case.

BTW: I responded with "I love amphibians, but I will not engage in illegal smuggling to further the hobby."

Sounds like my good friend yaisel...Kaysie how do you access to see if you have gotten PM's

you'll get a e-mail saying you have one and follow the links. well thats whats happened to me.

Oh good. They're multiplying.

Batten down the hatches. Hide the women and children.

(EDIT: Eye spelle gud.)

(Message edited by dot on August 16, 2004)

i received another email from him today where he says he didnt know it was illegal, and then proceeds to tell me WHY it's illegal...
>
> sorry... for that ... i didnt think it was illegal... the thing is that here they dont sale any animal, only dogs and some fishes, its becouse we cant deal with any country, and then can be imported... the usa have forbide our country to deal with any other... if you are not helping me with information about newts buy becouse of i can endanger the ecological status of my country, its ok then...that i understand.and im sorry to bother you.. but if it is becouse of being afraid of the us goverment... , well thats really sad, i love animal for above everything else including political stuff... and i thought you did...
>
> sincerely: Daniel

so I responded:
If you knew it was illegal for anyone in the US to deal with anyone in Cuba, why did you ask for my help? Why not contact someone in Canada, with whom, presumably, you can do business (as stated in your last email).

On top of the fact that I dont know you, Cuba is a REALLY bad place to keep newts. Its hot. Newts like cold. sometimes really cold. I cannot offer any information because I dont think it would be in the best interest of the animals.

Mike, I'll send them to you via private message.

Kaysie -

So he was basically testing your love for amphibians against your desire to not go to jail? He accused you of being afraid of the US Government because you wouldn't help him smuggle animals into CUBA?

It's also a little sketchy that this guy immediately came to you asking about newts, (and who knows who else,) and didn't post his question the board.

I would have to say that if ANYONE has been approached like this inform everyone.. Then we can stop the unnessary suggling

This is not that uncommon with other species. I have heard that killifish and rainbow fish eggs are mailed internationally all the time. How often this goes through customs I cannot say..
It would be better if he did contact someone that was not legally prohibited from possibly trading with him.
As for newts that can take the temps, Cynops ensicauda ssp should be fine.

Ed

Let me state the obvious....the spelling is just atrocious. If you want animals...you've got to at least LOOK respectable...if you can't be respectable.

Hi Joseph,
I normally do not expect perfect spelling from people who do not use english as their primary language.

Ed

Sent : Saturday, August 21, 2004 12:19 PM
To : <kurt_bert_claudio@hotmail.com>
Subject : Fw: (no subject)

| | | Inbox

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Attachment : IMSTP.gif (< 0.01 MB)

-------Original Message-------

Date: 08/19/04 16:19:29
To: dylan_hi@charter.net
Subject: (no subject)

2 redback salamander:7.00
2 black salmander25.00
2 tiger salamander 30.00
2 central newt 5.00
2 red salamander 10.00
baby garter snake 8.00/adult are 20.00
green snake baby*25.00
rat snake 40.00
ring neck snake 7.00
axoltI:15.00
larva sall we can talk about it

ALL shipping i will give a price on reptile/ put for a pair of salamander are5.00 for shipping*
next day sally are 17.00

Just to inform everyone. This is an email my brother recieved from yaisel. Now This is starting to worry me.

(Message edited by boynewt1 on August 21, 2004)

(Message edited by boynewt1 on August 21, 2004)

if you guys can get a photo-i can make a reasonably good voo doo doll......

well the moderator could ban his isp
im not sure if they can do it but i know its possible. the other option is to jsut ignore him

I already asked Jen what the grounds would be for banning Yaisel from the forum ... unfortunately she said that nothing he's done so far is really ban-worthy. We could keep our fingers crossed that he'll do something even more annoying that he already has ...

At Dots command...Yaisel has sent me a pricelist....ooh tempting...
lame.gif

2 redback salamander:7.00
2 black salmander25.00
2 tiger salamander 30.00
2 central newt 5.00
2 red salamander 10.00
baby garter snake 8.00/adult are 20.00
green snake baby*25.00
rat snake 40.00
ring neck snake 7.00
axoltI:15.00
larva sall we can talk about it

ALL shipping i will give a price on reptile/ put for a pair of salamander are5.00 for shipping*
next day sally are 17.00
here it is thankxs

Should I ask him where they come from? And for care info?

(Message edited by fishkeeper on August 22, 2004)

these animals on the list look very similar to ones currently offered on reptibid -but the person there claims they are CB from their new breeding program-and no matter which species they are they all are said to be new animals about 1 inch long.....

Paris, if they're offering captive bred tigers, I'll bet money that someone's not telling the truth.

where is this person though located? the dealer on reptibid is listed as in charleston WV -i was wondering if it may be yaisel-the account is new.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back