Experimenting with "Vacation Food"

C

clarence

so, I may go on a vacation soon. First one in MANY years. My roommates are gonna feed my axolotls. Now, in order to make things easy on all parties, I've thought about taking all the various food I'd feed them over the vacation and blend it together, smear it into a tray for making mini-icecubes, and throw it in the freezer.

Anyone tried something like this? Thoughts?

i do my turkey heart this way-you may want to put the ice cubes in plastic bags after they freeze to prevent freezer burn on the material that floated to the top.

The closest thing I have done is to freeze individual bits of chopped earthworm in plastic wrap. The petstitter just had to thaw a few pieces, drop them in the tank, and clean up any uneaten ones later.

I would recommend that your petsitter should feed the axies less than they usually eat. They won't starve if underfed for a few weeks, but if overfed, the excess food decaying could kill them.

How long is the vacation?
If less than 2 weeks, feed lightly before you go away and don't feed while you are absent, just have someone keep an eye on things.
If longer than 2 weeks, arrange for someone to feed smaller than usual, pre-measured feeds, (e.g. frozen cubes), and preferably, a partial waterchange.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back