CA Press: Winter is the season to go on newt safaris

W

wes

<u>CONTRA COSTA TIMES </u>(Walnut Creek, California) 09 February 07 Winter is the season to go on newt safaris (Ned Mackay)
Although it's winter, there's lots to see and do outdoors in the regional parks this month.
For instance, the "Mud Club" will be in session from 2 to 3:30 p.m. this Saturday at the Tilden Nature Area in Berkeley. It's an easy walk around the Nature Area, led by naturalist Meg Platt, in search of slugs, newts and other slippery creatures.
Meet at the Environmental Education Center, which is at the north end of Central Park Drive. From Grizzly Peak Boulevard in Berkeley, drive down Canon Drive into Tilden Regional Park. At the bottom of the hill, turn left on Central Park Drive, park at the end of the road, and follow the signs to the center.
In fact, there's another newt hunt scheduled from 1 to 3 p.m. on Saturday, Feb. 17, at Garin Regional Park in Hayward, led by naturalist Kristina Parkison. Newts are a variety of salamander, poisonous to other animals, that congregate in ponds during the rainy season to mate and produce more newts. To register for Kristina's program and obtain more information, phone 510-636-1684.
Yet another newt safari will take place from 2:30 to 4:30 p.m. on Sunday, Feb. 18, at Sibley Volcanic Regional Preserve on Skyline Boulevard in Oakland, led by naturalist Nancy Krebs. This program is unique in that the newt pond is located in a quarry pit next to one of Sibley's labyrinths. Registration is required for this program, too. Phone 510-636-1684.

http://www.contracostatimes.com/mld/cctimes/news/local/states/california/16660676.htm

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back